This is not quilt related but I know that several of us listen to audio books while we quilt and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get access to some without having to buy them besides my local library which is small and does not have everything that I would like to listen to.

Mary

Hi,

The only place I know of is the library....but have you checked to see if your little library is connected to some of the larger ones...sometimes they can barrow from the larger ones .....you would probably need to be able to access the catalogs for the library's...my library has an online website and I just checked for and found several modern quilting books (the on paper kind though).  Also, have you checked to see if your library (or a larger regional one) has downloadable audio books?  I have gone to mostly downloading to my laptop now as the books skip less and I also can speed up the book or slow it down...I usually listen at 1.2 X the normal speed unless the reader is fast already....I am thinking about investing in one of those little portable book readers like the kindle but I am not sure which has audio.....Lin

I get books from Amazon for my IPad (using the kindle app, I have the apps for IBooks and Nook on it as well).  Lately some of the books I have already gotten or new ones I am looking at have the option to get the audio for it. I don't know how much you have been paying for audio books but I go the inexpensive route and get them for one to two dollars, the audio options is about 3-4 dollars on the ones I have seen.

I use Audible on my iPod . But I have a monthly thing and I buy them. I listen to it while quilting and driving with a speaker. I read different books on my Kindle 3G . My friend has a Kindle fire and reads on it as well as listens to her books while quilting, going back and forth. You can get a lot of free books. You just enable text to spearhead I believe. The difference is Audible books are professionally narrated. I have listened to her Kindle reading and I would try it. You should be able to try it at the store. I know our library has a checkout for books on kindle and nook. Most libraries are linked together. So if you get a kindle you can download free ones from Amazon or check some out from the library. So it would just be your initial cost. There are a few email groups I subscribe to that send me listings of free books currently available. I do download then to read.

Shirley

I use audible on my Kindle and I love love love it! I use my Kindle every day or night of the week. I use it for my Bible on Sunday and last year I "read" about 50 books. (I like true crime!) It is one of the favorite devices I own! I have the fire and if it ever dies I will have another one before dark on that sad day! Mike surprised me with it a couple of Christmas ago and I think I tell him every week how much I love it!

Kindle and the iPad can both do text to speech... So a free classic can be electronically read to you. I love Audible... But it gets pricey... I find that I really don't mind the electronic voice at all...and Amazon has lots of books cheaper than their Audible counterpart that my iPad or kindle can read to me in its voice. I listen through the day and even sleep with a story being listened to through a earbud in my ear to drown out dogs barking, etc. Biographies, true crime stories, classic sci-fi, and gothic horror are my favs!

Ann... There is a place in the gear icon that the iPad Air (maybe older ones too, I don't know) where it can be set up... I looked on the internet and did what it said...viola! Just like Kindle! Yay!

I find it hard to concentrate on books and quilting at the same time ... but I did find Spotify for my computer, which is free music, and with my computer sitting in my studio anyway, I have music!  I loaded Spotify and then did a search for PIANO MUSIC and it gave me the most wonderful piano music all in one spot ... some classical, some contemporary ... and I found that I love The Piano Guys music.  This Spotify will play music all day with very short Spotify ads.  Not intrusive.  When I need a jump start, I just search on Rock n Roll  or Work Out music and it gives me lots of up-tunes.  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Mary,

Several libraries can use what's called OverDrive.  It's a catalogue of audio & e-books that are checked out much like a library book, but are in an electronic format.  It's worth visiting with your librarian about.  Perhaps they would consider getting it for your library, or maybe a neighboring library has it and you can utilize theirs.     Another option is a website called paperbackswap.com  It's a website where readers trade books (hardback, paperback) and audio books.  It's a great way to save money.

Archived