Suggestions for stitch in the ditch?

I SID lots of times without a base, but I have the thread cutter to the left of the needle so I have something to rest more of the ruler on and thus have more control. You can carefully SID if you go slowly. Remember to place the ruler, stitch as far as you can with safety and control in mind, and then stop, move the ruler, and start again. Until you are really comfortable using the ruler, never move it as you are stitching. 

I, for the life of me, can not remember whose video I just recently watched on YouTube, but the long arm quilter found it easiest to put on a thicker leather thimble and use her finger to guide her quilting foot along in the ditch.  I was just surprised how well she did using that technique.  I would try it, also, but I have the old spoon foot on my Ulti I and don't think that would work!

This may seem obvious, but it wasn't for me!  For SID with or without a ruler, keep the area you are working on close to you.  Everytime I am tempted to SID towards the back of the work area, I end up ripping it out.  Not a very time efficient way of doing things. 

Carol

I do most of my SID without a ruler.  Your machine will track fairly steadily on the horizontal and vertical axes.  I do use a ruler for diagonal lines and, as Linda said, if you go really slowly, you should be able to do it without the extended base.  SID around appliqué can also be done without the extended base if you go really slow.

Archived