Guild fund-raising ideas please.

My guild, about 175 members with many activities and programs, has had a big change of direction in the past three years. We have reached a critical point in fund-raising for guild costs. The membership voted not to have a raffle quilt to raise money. This was three years ago and we were having problems all along with coaxing someone to chair a committee and find helpers to build the quilt. They were also tasked with finding and staffing venues to display it and sell tickets. Then the members were handed a pack of tickets and "required" to sell them. Many just bought them themselves. So it was voted out.

Then our only fund raiser was an auction once every two years. We raised lots of money with that function, but it was a lot of work and members complained the we were just selling our own stuff to each other. Not really the case since we made baskets, offered retreat packages, and lots of other really creative things at the auction. And it was well-publicized with the public invited. Members voted that out as well, so now we have no way to raised funds and the membership is complaining that we don't have any big-name programs anymore. Duh!

We are running out of money and have a quilt show to fund which is scheduled for this fall.

The guild board has made a carefully worded proposal that outlines our funding problems and budget and we are voting on a couple of proposals including raising dues--a lot--going back to traditional guild money-makers, and asking for voluntary additional cash donations to run the guild. Several members at the last meeting were whipping out checkbooks and giving additional funds to span our shortfall until we are straightened out.

I think it's a mess, but haven't been critical of the issues because I don't have the time to jump in and help. They are asking for new ideas for fund raising. One that was talked about was a used book sale until the person who suggested it was asked how to gather/store/sort/price/transport/set up the sale with several tons of books involved! But we're trying hard to think of something viable and hopefully quilting-related.

Jump in with your groups' efforts and I'll pass them along. Thanks bunches!

We have an annual quilting/craft garage sale.  We have a much smaller guild than yours and make an OK amount on that.  Our group also seems more than willing to write a check rather than being on a committee or working toward an effort.  Truth be told, raffle quilts are the "easiest" way to make a chunk of change.  Good luck and I look forward to hearing other ideas.

What about a sewing class for mommy and daughter- nothing fancy. Maybe just a simple pillow case or tote bag? 

Pancake breakfasts make tons of money around here. Every month or so there is another organization holding one.   Basket auctions also do very well here. 

Could you make a quilt a month calendar and have it printed?  I would pay to buy one and others might also. Of course, that would work better in November or December, I guess.

It is a typical organization where few people do all the work and many benefit (I've been in many of those; not just quilting and I'd even go so far as to say my workplace!). The key here is that most either don't have time to work or can't, but are willing to donate money when they cannot donate time. Is your quild broken up into smaller organizations that could brainstorm in the smaller groups and bring at least one solution to the following meeting where those solutions then could be put to a vote? So many people are not willing to talk in a large group but will in their "own" group; especially if the chair person calls on each of them by name. If you don't ask them; most will remain silent. I hope you come up with something that can benefit the majority of the group AND make money!

Our guild is near the size of yours.  We have a show every-other year.  We do the raffle quilt where someone designs it (and can sell her own pattern) and about 10 members make a couple of blocks each.  Then one lady sews them together and a long-armer quilts it and is paid for her work.  We make several thousand $$ on that each time.  At the show we collect money from the venders, we have a gift shop where we make items for 2 years and put a price tag on them (aprons, pin cushions, thread catchers, placemats, napkin rings - you get it). The way this is done is called "boutique."  Once a month someone shows a neat quilty something and we meet and make some.  We get to keep one and the rest goes to the gift shop for sale.  We even sell old quilt magazines for 25 Cents each. All though the year guild members donate children's quilts to be given to the shelters and such.  They routinely remove the best of the best and assign them to the gift shop.  WE also sell canvas show bags that sell well.  We sell food at the show and take a % of any teacher's intake.  We have a silent auction of hand made items.  Now our show is well attended by folks from all over the state and adjoining states.  They come to spend money and these is really almost nothing left to pack away after the show.  We also charge to get in the show.   I know I am always amazed at how much money we have in the kitty.  No one complains about the work.  Yes, I do buy all my tickets but them I hold out hope I will actually win the quilt!!!

post-3653-0-56019800-1399149036_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input everyone!

The guild does tons of charity things all year long and we have a great retreat that pays for itself. Our membership has grown hugely over the last two years and I think the newbies might be willing to try some of the older fund-raising solutions.

I think where my guild went wrong was by voting out a well received and known money-maker like our raffle quilt without first agreeing on what could be done to replace that lost income. It was very short-sighted and the board (all new people this year so they were handed over the problem made by the previous administration  :huh: ) has come up with some solutions but none that have been agreed upon. As with all public groups, we have a vocal few who are trying to loudly get their way. One wants dues raised to $100 a year. We would lose more than half the membership and probably generate a spin-off guild of leaving members if we OK'd that idea! Another wants every program meeting to have a fee. I think that might be a good idea. That way the members interested in the speaker could support the program. Right now the programs are open to all members and non-members are charged $5 to attend. I think $5 for all attendees would be OK. That should generate about $500 and almost pay the speakers fee.

Any more ideas?

My guild is small, usually about 60 members. Every year, for the past 20 years, we have a Home Tour. Ours is a holiday home tour held the first part of Dec.. We have four homes each year, plus a refreshment house (usually a guild member's) and a boutique.

The homeowners decorate their homes for Christmas, we then bring in quilts and place throughout the homes. This has been our primary fundraiser and we do quite well. Because we have limited membership, we need outside help to be docents on tour day. We contact some of the other organizations to see if they want to participate (Friends of the Library, CERT, Historical Society.....)We take a percentage of our profits (usually 20-25%) and divide it evenly by number of helpers and give to their organization. This gives us the workers we need and it is a fundraiser for them also.

Some of our members and other carefully screened vendors hold the boutique. The guild gets the fees for the tables, the vendors keep whatever they make. This is an additional draw for our tour. The members are all asked to provide several dozen homemade cookies for the cookie house. We provide free cookies and coffee or cider for our customers.

We get many repeat customers each year, both locals and people who travel in just for the show. This has been a great fundraiser for us. Of course, each year, we are looking for someone to be the chair, but someone always steps up. We have prepared a book that outlines all that needs to be done and a timeline, so we are not reinventing the wheel each year. It has templates, info of where & how we advertise, etc.

The first couple of years, the homes on the tour belonged to our guild members. As we became known for the tour, we have been able to use the homes of non member homeowners. It is kind of an honor to have their home on the tour.

This has worked well for us and might be something you could consider.

Hi Linda,

I just joined a guild and they are trying to institute the guest fee for meetings.

I think it's a great idea, although not everyone agrees.

Also, the monthly classes they offer have a minimal cost.

I think if the class doesn't fill up with guild members, they offer the spots to other guilds to fill it and get enough $.

They also do a show every other year...but it's a money maker, not an expense.

They charge admission and have refreshments.

They had vendors and a lot of handmade items made by guildmembers for sale at the show.

It was a great show.

Local shops & long arm quilters advertise in the newsletter, I'm sure they pay for that, but I don't know how much.

They charge any member who wants the newsletter via USPS.

I do see hear the same names a lot, so it seems like there a few who handle the lionshare of the work.

That's all I got cause I'm new to the guild thing.

I'd joined others before, but just never had the time to go to any of the offerings so I dropped out.

Archived