Framed Memory Quilts-Anyone have any ideas of how to do a quilt like this?

Yesterday, I had a customer ask me to make 3 memory quilts from clothing that belonged to her mother who died. She wants something small, and wants to place the quilt inside a picture frame. Since I've never even seen quilts in picture frames and have no idea of a pattern for such, I'm here asking for help. Need ideas for patterns using many scraps. but most of all, do you quilt them like a regular quilt, top, batting, backing and binding? Checked out pinterest, but nothing came up except one made of paper to look like a quilt in a frame. She will be here on monday to bring the clothing. Any help appreciated greatly.

Debbie

Debbie,

A few years ago, I was asked to do "something" like this for a friend and her two siblings. Since the fabric was not all 100% cotton, and they brought me a large box, (I could have made a couple of very large quilts)....I decided to make crazy quilts, the target was 18x24, and I discussed using a shadow box instead of a regular frame ...and they could also put mementos and pictures in the shadow box. My friend loved the "idea" and they all were very happy with the finished projects. I used machine stitches for the decorative stitches. Maybe this will work for you....

Gonna change the subject, I noticed you are from Newnan, GA....I have a coworker and friend from there that is very ill right now, has been in the hospital since Easter Sunday because of a very bad sinus infection gone horribly wrong. This is three weeks now, she was in your local hospital and then transferred to Atlanta, in ICU, heavily sedated.....many prayers from across the nation have headed towards Newnan! All additional prayers are welcome....

If you've never seen how devasting a sinus infection can be, then you can't know it can turn life-threating in an instant. Praying for your friend to get well quickly. Thank you for the tips on framed quilts.

Debbie

Tip regarding the framing.  You may also want to let the person know that if they are framing this themselves and putting the quilt under glass, they should be sure there are either mats or spacers between the quilt and the glass.  You don't want the quilt to be squashed right up to the glass.  Any moisture may cause mildew on the glass and ruin the quilt.  If they have it professionally framed, the framer should mention this to them as well.

Miniature quilts   - this search comes up with jaw dropping quilts in mini size! 

Doll quilts

Mug rugs

Pillow quilt pattern

art quilts

Just brainstorming a search for you!    The above are some terms that I have heard before in blogland for small quilts.   Maybe this could help you find a pattern?      

I was going to suggest a shadow box as well.  But make sure she gives you a size that she wants from the typical stock sizes, or if she doesn't mind paying custom framing then don't worry about it!

Also for binding,  I thought about art quilt binding, and here is a good tutorial on one that I've used before 

http: //www.simplyrobin.com/2010/10/14/binding-tutorial/

I made a memory quilt that is 17" X 25", but I am sure that it could be downsized if you wanted.  I have it in a frame, but not behind glass.  I am trying to send a picture, if I can figure out how.

I am sure whatever you do, it will turn out great.

Good Luck,

Cathy

post-4174-0-38670700-1399689444_thumb.jpg

Because of the scrappy nature of trying to build a tiny quilt from lots of different fabrics (possibly from different fabric content as well) perhaps think about paper piecing. You can draft any design from a traditional quilt block on graph paper and reduce it to a size you can work with.

Maybe a larger medallion-style block in the center using square-in-a-square or several surrounded sawtooth stars ( see Dell's QOV quilt center posted today). Then border it with half-square triangles or a checkerboard border. That should use up lots of different fabrics. For accuracy, draw the design on graph paper, reduce it to an acceptable size, make multiple copies for your three quilts needed, and paper piece it so the borders are exactly the size you need. 

As for quilting, use a muslin backer and very thin batting, and "quilt as desired". That can be hand-quilted or machined. After quilting, add 1 1/2" wide muslin borders---not binding. Then stretch the quilt onto Masonite or foam board so the muslin wraps to the back and the pieced part is all that shows. No binding is needed. Then the framer can put spacers behind the quilt so it stands out from the back, and frame in a shadowbox frame as others have suggested. 

About 4 or 5 years ago I had the pleasure of making 5 memory quilts out of the clothing of a deceased mother. The little quilts went to the children.  Each quilt measured about 36x 40 when I was done.  I just cut the pieces from the various clothing articles, then used regular piecing techniques.  If you don't want to do a miniature you could always suggest 22 x 28 which is poster frame size.

I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas. But it looks as if I won't be using them anytime soon. My potential customer called me a little while ago to cancel. She is having an issue with unexpected pet bills. And I am kinda glad that this won't be in my lap anyway. I REALLY hate to try something new for a customer before I have done it a time or two for myself first.

Debbie

Debbie, I feel the same way.  I like to try things for myself before I try them for others.  It makes me feel better.  Now perhaps you have some time to think about it and experiment a little before she has the money to do it!  I understand the unexpected pet bills.   One of my cats is a diabetic now and we have to buy insulin, needles, test strips, etc.  It is a bit expensive, but I sure love my cat!

Peggy,

.I was totally stressed out worrying about it. Most of the time, customers have an idea of what they want done, but she did not have a clue except that she wanted a framed quilt, a "little larger than 8" x 10". Whew! Glad to have time to experiment on my own without worrying about ruining someones materials.

Archived