Batiks....

I also fell in love with Batiks... just a word of warning They are difficult to hand quilt thru! I also have trouble with the had part of the binding. It has to do with the way the dyes are washed out!! Also you do NOT have to pre-wash batiks. Enjoy-

Patty

Thanks, Patty, but I don't intend to handquilt anything! LOL! I'd be here till next decade trying to do that. It's machine all the way this time. One gal did volunteer to hand applique shapes when they're ironed on, assuming we actually do that. But I think I'll over-ride that because we are running so short on time now. They STILL haven't got me pictures I can print on my computer!! I only saw the thumbnails that come with film developed by Kodak, but my computer won't read their CD, so I had to send it back and request pic's by email. I hope they do that soon!

I always wash my batiks because I have found some, even the high dollar ones, that bleed like crazy. Just last month I found one that I washed with soap and water SEVEN times before it quit bleeding. It is a gorgeous one but I'd have been sick if I'd washed the quilt after piecing and not prewashed the fabric first.

Doh! I knew I shouldn't make quilts while I was ill. I usually prewash batik because I have found a lot of them bleed like mad. Guess what I forgot to do before making a batik quilt top... Yup that would be it. Oh well I;ve done it now so I will quilt it and send it to a show then worry about washing it. At least it is one I intended to keep so any problems will be all mine :) There are pictures of the top on my blog (as always :)

Ferret

Really.....I like Sewhappy thought you never had to wash batiks.

We are talking Hoffman Batiks right? Or are we talking some other brand? Because in that case I need to know, I have only bought Hoffman's, and I've never washed one or had a problem. Please could you name fabrics brands. Thanks.

Ferret, Have found many batiks keep running. I always wash any questionable quilts with fabrics that have run with a product called "Shout Color Catcher" made by S, C. Johnson Company. It picks up any loose dye so it does not go onto other fabric. really works. Also, have read on this site about another product called Retayne (which I have not used and spelling probably wrong). Linda S. has mentioned her use of this product and am going to try some when I find it. Shout Color Catcher takes care of color running in quilts that are already assembled. It has been a quilt saver for me.

Good luck

Marilyn

yes, I've used colour catchers, some fabrics do overload them so it is a matter of trying to guess how many I need. As I said, at least it is only my problem. It will be an interesting quilt I hope.

I'll look into getting Retayne in this country. I've heard about it several times but I have never had a good enough reason to hunt it down. I think I have now

Ferret

Ferret, when I was looking for instructions on washing quilts there were many, many websites that suggested NEVER to wash a quilt, but to VACUUM a quilt. So maybe you can try caring for it that way.

I asked at the LQS when I bought the batiks the other day if they would bleed at all, and the lady confidently and immediately assured me No, they were solidly colorfast. So I washed them altogether, which is against the laundry rules, LOL! and they came out fine. But that is one reason I ALWAYS prewash EVERYTHING I put into a quilt, and any other object I sew. Yup. Wallhanging or no.

Of course, I have been over-eager and forgotten....... once.... or twice..... or maybe more. LOL!!

Marilyn, THANKS for that tip on washing with Color Catcher or Retayne. I will go and find one of them before I wash anymore fabrics.

Good luck, Ferret! Can't wait to see that quilt!

My quilts get used, and tend to get pretty grubby. I sling them all in the washing machine and they have been fine so far. I had one run and I had to rewash it by hand in the bath with run removers, which did work a treat. Of course it was a huge quilt so it sticks in my mind to be careful in the first place :)

I hope to get this quilt quilted over the weekend so you shouldn't have long to wait for pictures.

Ferret

I LOVE the one you have on your blog that was on your bed, with the moon you made on the wall above it. Is that the one you're worried about?

I make most of my quilts to be used too, though the recipients (my family) are afraid to use them, the sillies! They might get them dirty. I tell them that's what quilts are for. So the instructions about only vacuuming didn't appeal to me either. I'm thinking maybe they were for antique quilts or something.

Have fun!

yes that's the one. I think I will give it it's fist wash at a laundrette in a really big machien with a few colour catchers, it shoud give it space to loose dye and not deposit it on itself. If all else fails run remover is a great product. I can't wait to get on with quilting that one, I have such a fun idea for it and it should eb really quick.

Ferret

Archived