packing grease

The question has been asked what is the # of the grease it is Lubriplate GR132. It is available from Lubriplate Web Store 14 oz. is $16.00 plus shipping.

The factory will send you a packet for no charge but probably will charge a handling fee. (Linda has to be paid).

When I place an order I try to maximize my order so the handling fee is a small cost to get my order. I need to plan ahead as best I can for my needs.

Yes dealers pay the handling fee also.

John

• 3 weeks later...

You should only need to add grease to the gearbox if your machine is getting noisy or that growley sound. We would rather have you call in and have one of us listen to your machine and make sure that is what we have going on. If the gearbox gets an airpocket in there is when we need to add, some don't get the airpocket so it just depends. Hope that all makes sense. :)

Take care,

My machine set, not being used, from 2001 (when it was purchased by a gal in Iowa) until I bought it in 2005. Tony checked it out before my purchasing it, so it ran okay & I was guaranteed of it operating properly. However, during some of my initial practice sessions there was a growly noise. I'd stop & oil it, & that seemed to cause the growly noise to subside. Since then I just make sure it has plenty of oil before & during running it. I wondered, tho, since it just sat & wasn't used for 4 years, whether the grease should've been repacked or replaced.

When I had an old Singer, I'd take the bottom plate off once a year & put fresh grease around those metal gears. It sure ran quieter after it was done.

Couldn't hurt, could it? Thanks again. This has been a good & informative topic about caring for these expensive machines!

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

First some history...... I bought my machine used a couple of years ago,

the lady I bought it from gave me a box of stuff - old parts - extra wheels -

curcuit boards (that I gave back to connie) and a ziploc baggie 1/2 full of

grease. It's not dark, more of a light gravy color....

Anyhow - I took my machine down to Carrol last year for the maintance

class with Connie. She had said to keep the grease in case I need it for

repacking. I know the how and where to do this, and my machine is no

longer ooozing, but sometimes it does sound a bit different. Not sure if it is

growling - or maybe just my hearing!! I understand the air pocket thingy

and maybe this makes it kind of "come and go"......?

Now the question - Does this grease get OLD at some point? Should I even

try and use this bag or order new stuff if and when I think I need more? I

do have a tube of the silicone here and ready just in case.....

but yes - with the amount of $$$ invested in the machine - I don't want to

be the cause of making it go cA-put or Ca-choink!!

Archived