Quilting in the Dark.

Well I made one today! I decided to simply sand the wood and not paint it, fearing the paint may come off on a quilt in my hot garage. My fluorescent no-hum light was $35 at Home Depot. Hope it is worth it! At least I can put my gooseneck lamp back on my desk now. LOL

• 5 months later...

Okay, so I am waking this thread up again.   I need ideas or help!   The ottlite that I used instead of Jamie's light (more on that later)  bit the dust.  The cord started fraying and it is sparking.   I'm going to home depot to see if I can fix it somehow.   It is a long gooseneck type lamp that I lay across my bars and it gives a great side light.   I am useless without this!!!

I tried making Jamie's side light.  it is awesome if I can find the right light to attach!!  I have tried 4 types of fluorescents and they are not bright enough and don't shine as far as my ottlite,  I only get about 4-5 inches of good shine.    If anyone has made one of these Jamie Wallen sidelights,  can you recommend a light that you used that works well?    

I'm even considering Deloa's Deelites now.   sigh.  

The lighting in my quilting room (living room) is quite dark.  I bought a 13" fluorescent light from Walmart for $10.00....mounted it to an aluminum bar and attached the bar to my handles with electrical tie wraps...I used tie wraps so that I wouldn't have to drill holes in my machine....it's steady as can be.  .the light hangs to the right side of my machine....so I have plenty of light about 2' to the side of me....when I move my machine my light automatically adjusts itself.

I made the one that Jamie built but didn't like it....I kept running into it with my machine.  With mine attached to the handles it's never in the way.

I also mounted 3 of the 13" fluorescent lights to the front of my frame....when I need to check my stitches on the bottom I just turn the lights on...plenty of light under there now.

David

Ok, it won't let me post a link to my pictures again BUT if you go to the forums for "pictures, patterns, inspirations" and click on:   "Need Advice on Design-Please"....The link there works and it will take you to my quilt pictures...just scroll down a couple of lines to see the light.

I also put gray duct tape on the front of the light to cut down on glare.....it does not interfere with the bottom or rear of the light.

David

Archived