Hardwood floors and sewing chairs

I recently had my carpet removed and refinished the hardwood floors.  They look wonderful however I now have hardwood in my sewing room with my sit down machine.   I noticed the wheels on my sewing chair are this hard plastic which will scratch the floor if I use it.   I really didn't want to put a runner down where I use my sewing chair cause I move it all over the room when I'm sewing.   I'm wondering if any of you have solved this problem and if so, how?

I looked at buying a new chair however they all come with this hard plastic wheels that simply won't work.  Any insights would be appreciated cause I have a quilt top I need to finish.   Thanks!

I went to our local office supply store and bought some new roller they are made for Hardwood floors they have a rubber( mine is grey that you roll on they are so smooth

They were more expensive than the ordinary replacement rollers but I do not see any marks on my floor. Was less expensive than buying a new chair.

Mercedes. I totally understand wanting and getting hardwood floors and not wanting to cover them with carpet or rugs.

I checked out wheels when we finally got the laminate floors down, and didn't want to mar them.  They are nearly indestructible, so my worries were all for naught.

You however have a problem which it sounds like  you can head off, by changing wheels, which are less costly than buying a new chair.

Seems the new wheels is a good solution for you, though I'm not you to make that decision.

Do what your heart leads you to do.

Rita

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I tried to take the wheels off my sewing chair - big problem.  To get them off you have to hammer them out - they don't have a bolt like some wheels or screws that hold them in.  It's a smooth bolt with a little bump on the end of the bolt that fits into the chair.  I checked everywhere and no one has soft wheels with these kind of wheel replacements.   This is disappointing since it probably means I have to purchase a new chair.  The problem with that is, no chair that I have seen comes with soft wheels so whatever I purchase I'll still have to replace the wheels.  How will I know that the new chairs wheels can be replace with soft wheels.  A good percentage of people now have hardwood floors, I'm surprised that manufactures are still making furniture that is not compatible with them.

I checked the amazon link and the stem on my wheels is much longer - bummer.   I also looked at the clear floor protectors however they're made of hard plastic so I'm thinking if they moved across the floor they would probably scratch.   Looks like my only option is a new chair however finding one that I can change out the wheels may take some time.

Not thT you have the solution for your chair with wheels, do you have felt pads under everything else so you can move tables, book shelves, etc around? Our house is primarily wood floors and I love it. So easy to clean. No pins in the carpet. And when I feel the need to move furniture around I just vacuum good first. Wish you the best.

Not thT you have the solution for your chair with wheels, do you have felt pads under everything else so you can move tables, book shelves, etc around? Our house is primarily wood floors and I love it. So easy to clean. No pins in the carpet. And when I feel the need to move furniture around I just vacuum good first. Wish you the best.

Yes, I put felt pads under all my furniture - that was a job.  I also find that hardwood floors are so much easier to keep clean - a little dry swifter and they look great.

Did you see the wheel covers on Amazon? It looks like they go over your existing wheels, so you don't have to replace the whole thing.

I looked at the cover and it looks good however I'm afraid that with a little use, they would wear a hole in them and then have scratches on the floors where the holes are.  I also looked at the longer shaft soft wheels - I need to measure mine but I think the steam is going to be too wide.

Archived