Pinning to leader on the diagonal

Hi!  I have this customer quilt and I want to pin it on the diagonal so I can do feathers in the half-square.  I'm not good enough to do them sideways!  And I was going to use clear thread.  Or maybe the color of the half-square?

Please advise how to pin on the diagonal and thread choice~~thanks!

post-1972-0-48503600-1413430698_thumb.jpg

post-1972-0-99157700-1413430709_thumb.jpg

Bonnie's answer is right on. You'll need to make sure the diagonal measurement will fit on the roller width and then sew appropriate size triangles to the edges to turn the top on-point. 

My suggestion instead of that chore is to make a stencil of the feathers you want and then mark them. That will take the anxiety out of stitching them at odd angles and give you some great practice.

As for thread colors? Obviously whatever you choose is going to show on the black. Audition some variegated thread if you have some in those pretty colors. One pastel-ish and one darker might be all you need.

That's a very pretty quilt and I'm sure you'll do great!

Linda is right on the stencil, she gives great advice. IMHO, I would probably will never attempt to do diagonal loading as it will stretch the quilt, besides, it's too much work & time consuming to add the set in point triangles. You will do great.

In my feather learning stage, I use to draw on Sticky Saran wrap, stick it on top of the block & longarm it.

Archived