How to figure thread amount

I am finally promoting myself to actually doing a quilt.  All the time I've had my machine, I've only practiced on yardage - never done a quilt.   This has been a few years - never felt good enough.   

I have a quilt top that measures approximately 48 inches by 60 inches.  Since this will be my first quilt,  I'll be doing feathers in the blocks, piano keys around the borders and some type of a fill everywhere else.  I'm wondering how I figure the thread amount.  I have a beautiful King Tut thread with 2,000 yards on it  - will that be enough for quilting the top and using it in the bobbin thread also?   It's the only spool I've got in that color and don't want to have to order more or run out.  If this isn't enough I'll have to either buy or use something else I have.

Also, I'm assuming I should do all the piano keys first - go back and do the blocks, then the fill?    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A full cone of King Tut will be plenty of thread for your plan. 

King Tut is pricey so if you want to save some $$$ you can use a different but similar-weight thread in the bobbin. One that matches a main color in the variegated and also looks good on the backer fabric will work well and ease anxiety about tension problems. If you opt for that plan you'll have enough King Tut left for another project.

SOMEHOW,I hit the wrong spot on my tablet and got prematurely posted. To continue, I sometimes do the border of the area of the first section first, then continue with quilting that area. I pin around all of the blocks to keep them nice and square. I do this as I advance the quilt to a new area. I don't do the whole border of the quilt first--I do it as I quilt down the quilt. Does this make any sense to you? Maybe others have a better way.

I'm rethinking the order I'm going to quilt based upon the feedback I've received.  I want to take advantage of all the experience on this list to help me through my first quilt.  I've also added the link on Superior Threads to calculate the thread amount.   Thanks everyone!

congratulations  on getting your first quilt on the frame....I probably should load more practice muslin....I tend to practice on my quilts....I figure now that I am retired...who knows how much time I have left to quilt....I am not a very disciplined person...always loved to sight read my music lessons better than actually practice....sighhhhh....now off to load another quilt...but I did get one of those dry erase boards and am practicing feathers on it.....I usually just start at the top of the quilt and work my way down making sure everything is lying flat and that I baste/pin the edges down....I do utility quilts, not for show....I don't know if I ever will be patient enough to work on my technique to be able to do show....so at least for the near future....I will just keep making my bed quilts....:)  My family seems to like those a lot...gotta make one for me before it gets really cold....my last one is looking shabby after 20 years of use.....Lin

Archived