Magna glides tension issues

Not to state the obvious but you did remove the little spring?  I switched over to my magna glides and forgot to do that and had a duh moment...then I would run a business card under the little finger to be sure there is no fluff hiding there...then if you have a tension guide I would make sure your bobbin is set to the right tension...if all else fails then yes I would order several to have on hand but go to a new bobbin case.  I have found lately that some of my magna glides seem to be unwinding on the sides about half way through the bobbin which I am not happy about....I am wondering if there were a few that were loosely wound....it could be you have several bad ones like I did....

Hi...

I'm wondering if it's the bobbins themselves now.

I'm going to switch to a different color on the next quilt and see if it still happens.

Thanks.

And, Vicki, always state the obvious cause you just never know.

But I did remove the thingy a long time ago when I started with theses bobbins.

I was thinking it was just me.   I had just enough bobbins to finish this quilt,

and the last two bobbins were the pitts!!

They were the magna glides.. I threw them both out after trying 4-5 tries with each.

One was winding off the sides.. the other just had an attitude I didn't care to find out about.

Much less stressful to switch to Superior.

If the other Magna Glides act like these 2 did, I won't be ordering more.  In fact, with

needing 2 hearing aids and a new heat pack, I won't be ordering more.

Himself does real good at winding bobbins.  Guess I'll ask him to wind them as I need them.

Rita

• 2 months later...

I have a couple bobbin cases just for the magnetic bobbins and a couple for the other prewounds.   I have had the magnetic ones not work right before.   I would take out the troublesome bobbin and put in a different one and usually all was OK.  Must be some glitch in their winding process.   I rarely use the Glides because they don't have as much thread on them.   I prefer the classics.    I am currently quilting my Snow Days quilt and using Invisifil top thread and their prewound bobbins as well.    I bought a package at a quilt show to try.........no trouble with them at all........very fine thread.  

Mine went into a new bobbin case because I was having so much trouble.  Once I finisahed that quilt, I gput the old bobbin case back in, with Bottom Line,

and it ran fine, still is.  I'm still not sold on magna bobbins. Maybe it's me, or Penny, or both, or the bobbins.

Archived