Questions on invisible thread

Although some quilters are successful with invisible thread for top and bottom, I've never been able to make it work. Just like Teresa, I prefer regular thread (I use BL pre-wounds) in the bobbin for use with invisible. 

I use a 4.0 needle in spite of the thinness of the thread, loosen the bobbin by two numbers (or twenty numbers on some Towa gauges--like from 17 for regular tension to 15) and loosen the top tension until pulling the thread through the needle doesn't cause curls when the thread is released. It's very loose. Stitch off-quilt to check for good tension.

If you want to try winding some invisible bobbons, only wind about two-thirds full. You don't want to stretch the invisible thread.

Good luck and let us know how you fare with invisible top and bottom. I need some pointers!  :)

I do the same, pre-wounds for bobbins but I just turn the tension know a complete turn looser when I load that monopoly and that seems to work well on my machine, I have to remember to tighten it back a full turn when I put regular thread back on the top...  I use monopoly a lot as I do a lot of appliqué and it works great also for SID - it's very forgiving for those occasional stitches that insist on going out of the ditch now and then....:)

I think I'll load some practice fabric and try this out first before loading my quilt - just in case I need to go with invisible top and regular thread on the bobbin.  I'm just finishing up a quilt now so hopefully I can runs one tests later this week.  Thanks to all!

Dawn Cavanaugh has written an article about winding Monopoly on bobbins using the Turbo Winder.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/apqs-monopoly-in-bobbin/

And Superior now has L bobbins prewound with Monopoly.

I use Monopoly on top and Magna Glide Classics in the bobbin, and as others have said, loosen the tension.

Archived