Quilting a Duvet Cover

Okay New Question

I have a customer who has brought me a duvet cover and wants me to quilt it.  We have decided on which side she wants to be the top and which side she wants to be the bottom so that is not an issue.  My question is have any of you ever quilted something that you stuffed the batting into before because she wants it to remain hemmed as it is.  She does not want me to bind it.  It is a large queen to almost king size duvet.

Mary

Pass!!! :wacko:  :)   There is no way this will work without hours of prep-work and lots of headaches.

You'll never be able to keep it flat. When you pin both edges to the rollers and then load the whole thing onto the front roller to begin at the top, the top fabric will crease and wrinkle badly--and shift out of place. You'll have a crinkled mess.

The batting inside may or may not stay where it needs to be. Nor will you have access to the batting to keep it from shifting/bunching/wrinkling.

As you stitch across, the hopping foot will push the top fabric around, causing the opposite edge seam to end up either on the top area or underneath, not exactly at the edge.

And when you reach the end, the two outside pieces may or may not be even at the bottom.

You could lay it out on the floor, insert the batting, crawl around pinning every three inches to stabilize it all, then cross you fingers and load it up. But that's why I got a longarm--so I wouldn't have to do that ever again!

I bet she found a gorgeous duvet cover on sale and wants it changed into a bedcover. Without knowing the logistics of loading the layers and quilting on the longarm, she probably thought it was a great idea and easy to do. It's not...

Don't let her expectations and the fact that she's your friend put you in a difficult position.  You are the expert in this arena.  Explain the difficulties and back away from this job.  If the friendship is solid, it will endure.  I'm betting that once you explain in detail what has to be done and what can (and will) go wrong, she'll rethink the whole project.

Mary, if she is really your friend, she will understand that you can't do the impossible. Linda's explanation is very clear, and I would let her read it. If she wants to make it into a quilt you can do that, but just because you have a big expensive machine does not mean it can do things it was not intended to do. I think these things are quilted on industrial machines that hold the whole quilt stretched out flat on a huge frame. Don't feel guilty that you can't fulfill every wish.

Well, I did this ONCE, and never again.  Except she wanted it quiled flat, so we put a piece of flannel on the inside instead of batting.  I preshrunk the flannel and I floated EVERYTHING since she didn't want it taken apart except for the one side to insert the flannel piece.  I made the unsewn seam the bottom and made the flannel longer so I could adjust the flannel middle if I needed to.  It ended up being a few inches different than I expected (longer) so I was able to cut off the access flannel when I got to the bottom of quilting.

I do NOT recommend doing this, but it is doable if you have the patience.  A lot of curse words were said when I did it.  Live and learn.

Archived