Basket weave stencil

It is still a top seller!

Thank you!

Originally posted by tymless1

Thanks Sherry for the info........Is Formal Feathers 101 still available? I love your work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebecca

Cottage Quilter

Rockton, Illinois

I also liked the look of the basket weave Sherry did on her quilt and purchased the stencil. Now I just need a little instruction on how to do it without a million stops. Could anyone help me please?

Answers can be e-mailed directly if you like. I never seem to find any comments on this list after I respond.

Thanks

Grace

needles2nails@msn.com

Grace

Although I haven't ordered the basket weave stencils yet, I am also very curious about the techniques involved for their use. It's such a stunning look! PLEASE share with us if you get the lo-down..... maybe Sherry will share?? Pretty please ??!@@#$

Your making it hard, by over thinking it! If you use a thinner thread such as bottom line or sew fine you will be much happier with the end results. You can start anywhere and just go till it is done. When you have to, you will backtrack and fill in the little squares when you get to them. Clear as mud now?

Sherry - Thanks for posting the links for those template - I want to get one

as well! You have just reminded me and saved me some time - love that!

Grace - when you post to a topic are you remembering to click into the

"Receive email on reply?" little square? Then you will get emails even if it is

months later - - until you delete them from your control panel area.... you

can always go back and do a "search" to look up old topics as well. If you

need any help - just ask!

SHERRY

Thanks for the quick reply....... I guess MY question was, do you stitch let's say a horizontal line first...... stitch, say one half inch, secure stitches, skip one half inch & jump to next part of weave and on & on. Then do the vertical part. I'm probably being very dense about this, but let's blame it on the incessant rain!!! I also want to thank you Sherry for all the great photos, tips & great ideas you post for us all. Longarming can be a very solitary business & it's great to have the pros like you being so generous with their know- how. Are you teaching @ INNOVATIONS this year by any chance??? Thanks.....

Your STILL overthinking this! When I did this design, I used it as a background filler. All your background fillers are continuous..right? So is this. It does not matter where you begin, where you end or how many times it takes you to trace the stencil and fill up the little sqaures. I did not drag thread and I did not secure stitches (sam i am). Just drop the thread and follow the lines. When you find yourself at a dead end, backup! Remember my motto..."matching thread is your friend" No one and i mean no one is going to know how many times you retraced your lines!

I will not be teaching at Innovations this year but I will be representing APQS again in there booth.

If you still dont get it or just plain want to see a basket case in action, bring your stencil and I will show you how to get er done! LOL

When I took my one and only machine quilting (DSM) class from Helene Knott, she taught us to put blue painters' tape on the square, covering the while square in one direction, stitching "in the ditch" between the tapes. Then we take them off as we go. We turned the corner and stitched in the ditch of the square to the next line, never stopping till we'd done all in one direction. Turned out fabulous, and we beginners were so thrilled with our first efforts. Of course, this assumes you're quilting a square....

Good luck!

Thank you so much for all the great explanations to use this stencil. I was so honed in on not crossing the lines, I just couldn't see any other way. I have a Cal King quilt 'Flower Dance' by Theresa Fetch and have been wondering what to use for a filler stitch around the stars. Feathers continue to elude my skills - even with all the great books out there. I own several versions, but my feathers look more like a pillow fight, no matter how much I practice. This basket weave might be the best idea for a 'basket case' such as myself.

Thanks again. I really enjoy all the photo shots and handy helps.

Grace

• 10 months later...

Pam - thanks for bringing this back up again. I am just about to start on my

quilt that I am going to use this one. I picked-up some marking pens just

yesterday - what timing!! Good to read through Sherrys instructions again

as a re-fresher!!:) Then wow - I looked at the dates and it was almost a

year ago already - time sure does fly!!!:o

Archived