Need advice

mnquilter

Hello all. About two weeks ago my Millennium developed a thread breaking issue along with an occasional loop on the back side of the quilt. I've dealt with tension for twelve years now and I know how to fix most issues, but this has me stumped. I can't seem to get rid of that loop problem. Any tighter and it's constant breakage. Loosen it even a little and there are tons of bottom loops.

I'm wondering if the tension assembly needs replacement, which I'm probably going to do either way. I go through a lot of quilts, roughly 600-700 per year, so my machine takes a beating.

If anyone has some advanced fixes, please fill me in! I've emailed Amy,but no response and I need some guidance. Thank you!!

J

It's barely 5:30am my time, so please forgive any stupid responses here.  Have you tried Sewer's Aide, loosening the tension between the rollers?  New needle, rethread the machine from back to front and give everything a really good clean?

I know you'll get others to chime in here, but it's early.

I've had occasional loops on the back when the hooping foot is too high.  Check the hopping foot for play up and down and side to side.  If no play check the height should be about one business card between the foot and the plate when in the lowest position for most battings.  Also a slight snag in the thread path can cause a loop on the rear when it releases.  The tension check spring will get a groove worn into it over time and the easiest way to check it is either with a magnifying glass or drag a knife type seam ripper across the U and see if  it catches the groove.  Since you have high usage on your machine I would also suggest you check the needle bar play front to rear and side to side in the lowered position.  Also check the hook for fore and aft play.  Play in either the hook or needle bar will make it impossible to keep the ideal relationship between the hook and needle while stitching. Any of these problems can be repaired by you with the excellent instructions  APQS sends with the parts.  Just my thoughts until you can call Amy next week.

Nigel

Thanks for the responses. I thought about timing. Replaced the hook assembly. Replaced bobbin case. New tension check spring installed. I've been dealing with this for weeks on multiple quilts, dozens of different threads and bobbins.

Given it a good cleaning. It should be a fairly easy fix. I'm just stumped.

Thanks to all, though.

I just experienced this same problem and it was the bobbins!  I use prewound bobbins from Superior Threads and I happen to have a couple red ones that were too wide for the bobbin assy.  I could hold the assy with the prewound bobbin in my hand, pull the thread and it worked perfectly, yet when I inserted the bobbin assy into the machine and pulled the bobbin thread up to the top it was extremely tight, causing the thread to loop and break while I was sewing.  

I'm not sure if this could be your problem but you might want to check.  I haven since changed to Magnaglide prewound bobbins that have the magnet in them......I'm hoping this will end my bobbin problems forever.

Rita

Archived