Messing Up Instills Creativity

It's amazing how messing something up can bring about creativity and relieve pressure.

Decided I wanted to make a Whole Cloth Quilt Wall Hanging.  I want a Queen Whole Cloth Quilt but thought I would start small.  I love the pictures of the satin Whole Cloth Quilts so I thought I would buy a yard of white satin and find a pattern.  Found the satin but no whole cloth pattern.  Would have to order one.  Well, I'm sure you ladies don't know it but men get very impatient when they want to do something.

So I decided I would design my own pattern as I went.  Started researching....found different things I liked and a design formed in my mind (sort of).  Drew part of the pattern out on my top fabric using Press and Seal...looked great.  So off I went just stitching along.   Really looked great.  BUT...I'm scared to death I'm going to screw up.  Did you know needles leave holes in satin when you rip seams so I was being really really careful so that I wouldn't have to rip.  First day went great.  Even wife commented on it.

Second day (which is today) I decided I needed feathers.  Now my free hand feathers are getting better and better but I have feathered groovy boards.  Can't mess up with groovy boards....well most people can't but you need to understand I'm a "trained professional."  I can mess up anything.  I'm using groovy boards to put curved feathers along the sides of a large diamond.  Set the groovy board up and went through it all without sewing...yep...looking gooooood.  Did the first side....great.  Did the second side....aaaawwwwwwwwwwww....the curve on the second side was different from the curve on the first side....HMMMMMMmmmmmmm.  Coffee break time.

Stared at it for 2 hours while drinking my coffee.  At the end of 2 hours it never changed...was still messed up.  I thought sure it would have fixed itself while I was on break.  So what can I do to fix it.  It's not for someone else.  It will only be hanging in my sewing room....the creative juices started flowing.  So if I just start having fun with it and do different things nobody will know I didn't plan it that way and I know ya'll won't say anything.  RIGHT!!!!

So I don't have to worry about messing up now....the pressure is off.  I'm just putting more designs in...lots of micro fillers....crosshatching....ruler work....and free hand feathers.  I think if we use the 20' rule it will be OK.

If Jesus tarries a few more years before calling me home I'm going to be a quilter or else.

David

Libby

When I finish I'll post pictures.  Hopefully I'll finish it this week.  I'm slow as molasses.  It's actually turning out pretty good...or at least I think it is.  I can see now that I wasn't born with the design creativity gene.....it's hard work for me....but it's better when I just took off sewing....I practiced my feathers...did a few curly ques....a couple of hearts (should have left them off.  LOL).  Now I'm micro stippling.  No plan after I put the center feathered heart in.....just went with what my mind told me to do...it's scary to think my mind acts that way.

David

Archived