Favorite Gadget ?

What is your favorite quilting gadget? Mine is probably my wrist pinholder. I know it sounds silly in this world of hi-tech, but it keeps my pins close by at all times. My 2nd favorite is the lanyard that holds my scissors around my neck. I just couldn't quilt without these gadgets.

Ask me again after my Circle Lord arrives. My answer could very well change.

I'd love to hear from everyone else about their favorite gadget. Thanks for sharing.

I had a magazine come to me this week. It is great, all kinds of gadgets in it. I really did not look at it for a couple of days . Now every time I pick it up I find something new. It it Clotilde magazine. you can go online at: www.clotilde.com Those newbies check it out. wow.

I received the same catalog. Here's what I do - I rip out the pages that have things I'd like to have, I circle them, Attach all the pages to the order form - then place it in my DH's checkbook with a little love note about nice surprises for his DW : )

It's a great way to get prizes all year long and not feel guilty about buying them. (not that guilt comes into it at all)

Here's what I do - I rip out the pages that have things I'd like to have, I circle them, Attach all the pages to the order form - then place it in my DH's checkbook with a little love note about nice surprises for his DW : )

Kathy, you have just taught this "old dog" a "new trick"! After 40 years of marriage, I thought I knew them all. ROFLOL!!!

Darlene

I like to know that whining thing to get DH to do that. Not a big heart!!!! Love the gadgets you find in the out of the way places. This book is from Big Sandy, East Texas which family live not to far from there. HMMMMM Might take a trip out to left field. Seen several in that area to go to. I also like to go to Pryor, OK. to Fabricutt to get material. Hmmmmmmmm ideas. Now that hollidays are over have time to explore.

Guest Linda S

I don't have to ask the DH for anything because I don't have one! :D But, dang! That means I have to pay for all this stuff myself. :( Anyway, I think the thing I use the most is the little scissor spots (suction cupped magnets) that I have stuck on my Liberty. They hold my fine point oiler, my scissors, my seam ripper, etc. Nice to have everything handy!

Linda

Two of my favorite gadgets cost $5 or less and I wouldn't want to have to get by without them. One is a $5 clip-on cable for the little scissors I use to clip threads (clips to whatever I'm wearing, just pull out the scissors to use then they pull back - got it at a local quilt shop -- in fact I keep buying them when I wear one out because I love using one); the other is a $3.75 finger pincushion from Joann's. When I bought that little pincushion on elastic, I wondered if it would just be goofy thing that ended up in the trash -- but no, it puts the pins right where I need them, next to my fingers as I pin -- even closer than a wrist pin cushion, and yet it holds enough to pin the side of a long quilt. I just load it up before I start.

For another little beauty, I love Sherry D. Roger's Dainty Ditcher. It's a small, palm-sized straight edge guide for stitching in the ditch, easy to move along a quilt top. It's great and it was $7.50, so a good price, too.

It's wonderful when you find some little handy inexpensive thing that makes life easier, isn't it?

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD:D

My favorite gadgets are the Mini Ditcher which the Dainty Ditcher is based on, a piece of velcro attached to the top of the Liberty which holds my John James needle and small scissors.

I too have learned how to get my DH to buy me things. Cutting pictures out of catalogs is the best way to go. He gladly buys them. Poor guy can't read my mind so this works!:D

One of my favorite gadgets is the "shower caddy" that is suction cup'd to the side of my Liberty. It holds my 'frogger', sissors, measuring tape. Someone listed this in another post so off I went to get one.

I also purchased a 97 cent Home Depot canvas apron I tie around my waist. I tie in the front with the pockets in the back. I put my small ruler in it when I'm quilting for easy access and other stuff.

I'm off web surfing to find that Dainty Ditcher(?). Just gotta have it since it's been recommended more than once ;) Have a little list of things that I think I'll get today :)

Guest Linda S

Kathy -

Our own Sherry Rogers (soon to be Rogers-Harrison :D) sells the dainty ditcher on her website: www.sewfarsewgood.org Click on longarm rulers and templates. I don't have one yet, but it's on my list of things to buy after my tax return comes in. Of course, I guess I'd best do those taxes first, eh?

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering if anyone has purchased the Duck Bill clamps? If so, how do you like them and did you buy one set or two? They look like they would do a pretty good job at clamping the quilt for quilting. I'm just a newbie and really enjoy this forum. I have learned a lot so far and am sure the education will continue. Thanks for your time and knowaledge.

Naomi Ames

Idaho

Millennium

• 3 weeks later...

Gadgets are my middle name. Just looking over all the stuff you are using.

So far, The finger pin cushion is my new favorite and being a thrifty soul

I made a couple out of bottle caps, poly stuffing, a piece out of the scrap bin and a small length of elastic and a squirt from the glue gun. My sister loves hers too. Great for front of tv busy work.

retiredma

Akron OH

A few months ago I found a "craft apron" that I've come to rely on. It has a gazillion pockets - one PERFECTly sized to hold my dainty ditcher, one that holds my ink pen, miracle marker crayon, black light pencil, etc. etc. The big one (rt side, bottom) holds my little "rice bag" weight and my little 6" ruler, and misc. STUFF. I took out the seam between the left, bottom pocket and the middle one cause I needed a bigger one to get my left hand in and out of easily when leaving all the thread ends in it. At our local hardware store, I found the retractable chain thingy that I put my snipper scissors onto. I have that clipped somewhere along the right side (I admit, that took a little time getting used to, but now it's second nature to use - I have long arms so I think that helps.) That leaves about a million more pockets left unused - for a little while. :D It's black canvas on a rubberized-type backing - VERY durable. It clanks a little when I get into it (making me smile :), but I don't notice the weight cause it's distributed over my shoulders. I really feel READY TO WORK when I put it on. ;) Across the top of the "bib", I have my favorite pins (MQS ones, faith pins, my longarm shaped one, etc.) It's been the best thing I've found - just above bib overalls :P. (In fact, when I bought it to try, the lady had 3 of them. Once I used it a bit, I went back and bought a 2nd one. I got mine for $10. I did find a website for the brand on the tag, and saw them selling for $16. ;)

My machine has a metal light bar, and that's the perfect place for some 1" X 1" magnets I found at the same hardware store (25 cents I think). 2 of those together hold my tiny screw driver for adjusting the bobbin tension screw. A 2nd one holds my big 3" long "wedge" ended upholstery needle (GREAT for frogging - not so sharp that it accidentally picks up a thread of the fabric, but gets under the stitch. The "wedge" shape breaks the stitch.)

Another one holds my big eyed needle for tucking away thread ends.

Another plus is (since working out of my home) if someone "interrupts" me, they see my apron and it's like saying - I'M WORKING!!

Sherry LO

Nolting

KS

I just read these again to see anything new since last time I looked. I need one of those many-pocketed aprons.

But seeing these suggestions reminded me of one of my other most-loved, have-to-have, small, inexpensive tools. It's my Chacoliner -- small, plastic, lipstick-sized case with powdered chalk that comes out along a rolling metal wheel. It makes a very visible, thin line of chalk, works well marking along a ruler or template, and it's amazing how often it comes in handy -- to mark off repeat spaces, to mark a feather vein, etc. You can refill it with any powdered chalk. I found mine at a quilt shop. One of those little things that makes life easier.

Mary Smart

Millenium:cool:

Vermillion SD

I got a new gadget, DH got me a laptop for my birthday. I love it. Now I can sit on the couch, watch TV, watch the puppy and cruise the internet. It came with the wireless network card it it, which was nice, and it hooked itself up to the internet for me. No fussing around.

Of course, one of the first two things I did on it once I got thru the intital set up was to set APQS as my home page and install EQ5.

I love the idea about the apron, been looking for one for a while, is there any way you can post the website on here so we can go look at it.

I love the ideas about the gadgets, I have a choco liner and I use it all the time. The funny story about that is, that when I described it to another quilting buddy of mine, I told her that it was shaped like a Tampax, I guess the lipstick would have been a little less vulgar. LOL. I bought two of them, one white and one pink so I can have colors that will show up on dark and light fabrics. I also love that they are refillable. I am so challenged when it comes to marking tools. I like to write with a fine tip and it seem like I can get anything sharp enough to give me that.

I also have some of that marking magic. I have not used it yet, but I am getting ready to soon. I can't wait to use it.

I was also curious, when I was out getting a wireless mouse for my laptop, I saw where they have the pen mouses available. Actually, what it is more like is the pens and screens that we use to sign for your credit cards at most of the stores now. They run about $100. I was thinking that they would be helpful when using the drawing features in EQ3 and/or microsoft paint. Has anyone tried this or maybe have an opinion on it?

Well......quilt show is this weekend. Went yesterday and I am gonna go today and finishing digging thru the vendors. I went yesterday with a girlfriend who loves quilts but does not quilt herself. I did not want to make her sit and wait for me to spend 3-4 hours looking thru all of the vendors. So today I am gonna go. If i find anything good, will share.

Blessings and hugs,

Tracey

Archived