Another Quilt Path Question or questions?

I've asked a few questions before about Quilt Path but I have some more that I don't think I've asked.  I tried to do a search but couldn't find my topic.

In the past two weeks, I've had 3 people ask if I would quilt for them and last month my neighbor who asked me to make her a queen size memory quilt .  One was a lady in my Sunday School Class whose art group does a quilt each year and paints the quilts.  Then they pay a longarmer to quilt it.  She showed me a picture of last years and it was fantastic...definetly custom work.

This started when I was showing pictures of a prayer quilt that I have on the frame and then they asked to see more pictures of some of the quilts I've made in the past.  Well, I don't think my quilting skills are that great yet...enough to actually charge people.  Making a quilt and giving it away is one thing.....charging people to quilt their quilts is entirely different.

So I didn't actually tell them no because I didn't want to scare them away from sometimes in the future when I might be ready to quilt for hire (if ever) but I didn't tell them yes either.

So this got me to thinking about Quilt Motion/Creative Touch (which is my Block Rockits version of Quilt Path).  That brought more questions to mind.

I know you still have to get proficient at free hand quilting and using rulers and boards....practice...practice....practice

1.  How many of you feel Quilt Path (or some other computerized system) has helped your quilting and perhaps your business if you quilt for hire

2.  I know it takes a lot of work to set the designs up on a computerized system but would you be quilting for hire if you did not have the computerized system.  (In other words do you feel more adequate with the system than freehand)

3.  How much of your business would you say you use Quilt Path on and how much do you use other things such as rulers, groovy boards, etc

4.  Does quilting with a computer system have a bad rep?  I know I've heard the comment that even using a longarm is not real quilting...that quilting should be hand quilted.....how do your clients feel about computerized quilting.

5.  Were you nervous when you decided to quilt for hire and how did you get over it....how did you know YOU WERE READY?

Ok, maybe that's enough questions today but I reserve the right to ask more unless you folks tell me to shut up.

Thanks again for all your help, inspiration and just plain being nice.

David

David:  I don't have a computer system, so I can't address the questions you have specifically about that.  I can however, speak to quilting for commission.  When your're ready is up to you.  It doesn't require a specific level of proficiency.  It just requires that you are comfortable quilting for someone else, and they are comfortable paying you what you do for them.

I've quilted about 500 quilts in the last 5 years.  About half for commissions, and half for other reasons.  I started early on accepting requests for quilting work.  I was reasonably proficient at over all meandering, and that is all that I sold.  In fact that's pretty much all I sell even now.  I occasionally do custom work for some of my long time customers, but only at my choice.  I do not take orders on how to quilt a custom job.  I decide what I will do, period.  I'll accept some ideas of how the customer wants the quilt to look, but all the decisions about pattern, thread etc. are made by me.  I custom quilt as a favor to the customer.  I do not charge custom quilt fees.  In fact most of my custom work is done at "the customer decides what it's worth" basis.  If a new customer wants custom quilting, I refer her to some other long arm quilter.  My fees for over all meander are quite modest.

I've often thought that the computer assisted quilting offers the greatest possibilities as a rapid volume tool.  After all, "custom makes your reputation, and over all makes your money".  I'm not interested in increasing the volume of my work, so I've not been very interested in automation.  I can't see spending more than $10k to automate my one off custom work.

I'm part of a quilting group of about ten folks, and I do most of the quilting for everyone.  I have a few customers from our quilt guild, and a few others who are friends of customers.  I probably earn about $150 per month off quilting.  It pays for the support of my machines, and keeps me occupied.  I no longer piece, and only quilting for my wife, would not give me enough to do.

My suggestion: accept commissions you're comfortable doing, from people you're comfortable quilting for.  Keep their expectations low, and always exceed them.  You'll be surprised how many happy customers you will end up with.  Jim 

I've only been quilting for hire for about 18 months and have quilted 116 quilts. (I work full time to support my quilting habit right now.)

1) I couldn't do without my quilt path ... I'm a perfectionist and my freehand quilting is not perfect ... but my quilt path is!

2) for me, it really doesn't take a lot to set up the patterns in QP .. import the designs, tweak them to resize and fit the quilt and you're ready to go. I don't digitize my own patterns ... I purchase patterns from those who are experts in that field.

3) 80% of my quilts are done with Quilt Path; the other 20% involves free hand and ruler work and sometimes there is a combination of quilt path, freehand and ruler work.

4) i haven't had anyone say anything bad about using a computerized system ... it gives so much flexibility in designs that I could never freehand. The quilting designs are unlimited! My customers are new quilters, experienced quilters, traditional and modern quilters as well teenagers to grandmothers.

5) Yes, I was very nervous when I first started (and still get that way today). I did a few charity quilts that I got a friend to critique - a friend who had used several different longarmers over her piecing career ... and it was really she who told me I was ready! LOL!

I couldn't do without my family on this forum!

8-)

I have the Intelliquilter system on my Millie. I've only had my machine a few months and while I do ok with rulers and freehand meandering I would not yet be ready to quilt for others without my IQ system. If folks want hand quilting they will look elsewhere for a quilter. I say start quilting for others when you feel ready and when you are ready, charge for your time. Don't sell yourself short.

Thank all of you for your replies.  That makes me feel so much better. 

Jim, you put a whole new direction on it for me.  I guess I assumed to be a longarmer that you had to have the proficiency and talent of many of these ladies and gentlemen here on this forum, although that is my goal.  I want to be able to quilt like Valerie and many others on this forum.  Some are born with a talent and then there is me who has to work really hard to get there.

I practice a lot and always try something new on each quilt I do.  People seem to like my quilting but I think I'm my own worse critiquer.  I've had my mid-arm machine almost exactly a year and I realize I'm a newbie but I'm getting better.

Ya'll have made me fall in love with APQS but to afford another machine (without a divorce) will mean quilting for others for hire.

I'm just waiting for the day when I can post on the subject line:  "APQS on it's way....Yipeeee."

Again thank all of you for your replies.  You did answer all of my questions and settled my mind.

David

I have had a quilting business for about 5 years and did freehand and paper pantos until about 6 months ago when I got my Quilt Path.  I found it relatively easy to learn to use and about 50% of my quilts are completed with QP. It is precise and efficient and I love it.  That being said, there are some quilts that I am more comfortable quilting without QP because they have issues that demand extra attention such as intersections of 6+ fabric layers that if not pressed correctly can easily break a needle. I was very nervous about quilting for others in the beginning but experience builds confidence. 

Archived