Circle Lord baptist fan

Hi, everyone,

I'm getting closer to trying Circle Lord (hey, I've only had it for a little over a month and don't like to rush into these things). My first CL project will be baptist fans on a quilt top made by my grandmother out of threadbare flannel gowns, I think. I'm reading the manual while I wait for the quilt back to arrive.

I ordered the giant baptist fan template, but see in the manual that I can make baptist fans using just the large blade. My question: why did I need the giant template if I can make fans with just the basic CL? Wish I'd bought ZigZag instead. Just call me "Ready, Fire, Aim!":P

I asked this same question. I was told that it is easier and faster to use the template. It is easier to line up the rows and arcs. I can state for a fact that it is very quick using the giant template. I did a queen size quilt in a little under an hour. (not counting loading and such).

The reason is simple! The CL BF's are continuos, the others are not! No securing threads at every single fan and no stopping and starting. Drop the stylis and step on the gas! I watch Ophra while I am running the CL! By the time it is over...I am done!

I ordered the giant baptist fan template, but see in the manual that I can make baptist fans using just the large blade. My question: why did I need the giant template if I can make fans with just the basic CL?

I didn't get the 10" fans, mine are the double 7", I believe. And wow are the easy and fast to use. But better than that is way they look. I love them on a traditional quilt like a log cabin or yellow brick road. They give the quilt such nice texture. I just finished a quilt and used the sqarez, the square spiarl and the circular spiral on the starz template to add some custom stuff to the quilt.

Catsiger, you will never be sorry that you got those fans. I do have to say, though, that the zigzag and wavy line templates are also very nice. I got those for Christmas. I love the versatility of the zig zag. You can use it to make so many different patterns.

Michael just came out with another new one, this is a fan and clams combo. But the one I have my eye on is the tiles template . It does wavy lines, including crosshatch wavy lines. It also does straight lines so it does regular cross-hatch too but more square than diamond shaped. That is the next one on my list.

Guest Linda S

Cathey - you will love that Giant Template. I liked mine so much that I ended up buying all of them. They are so easy and fun to use. It almost feels like cheating! And, the quilts come out looking so good.

Linda

Hi,

Please look at the video below, to see how the

Circle Lord Baptist Fan template works.

It's continuous from end to end.

Sherry R-H made me make this template.

Circle Lord Baptist Fan Template Video

Making Baptist Fans with the Circle Lord is similar to the

method used with the Hartley Fence. It is very accurate,

but time consuming in both quilting and clearing trailing threads.

You can see a quilt made by Linda Mae Diny using the

Baptist Fan Blade on the Circle Lord on the blog below.

This could not have been made with the long template.

Quilt by Linda Mae

Cheers,

Michael

Can't speak about the Hartley Fence since I don't have one, but the Circle Lord giant templates go on the panto table and you follow the design (grooves) with a stylus--theoretically. For some reason, the stylus won't stay in the groove. Something isn't level, but what? My table? Anyone have any ideas how to make the table level all the way across? the low spots are between the crossbars. Perhaps strategically placed non-skid rubber "lace" (or whatever it's called) under the template. That stuff is great for opening jars! And for keeping my laptop from sliding around on my lap desk.

Hi,

I recommend the Shelf liner from Wal-Mart. It is the green

one that I use on the ends of the Circle Lord.

Table dips can be a problem. We had a friend do her quilt

on our machine, and she had problems with the stylus coming

out.

After watching, I could see that she was moving the machine

with her right hand and leaning on the template with her

left. She was pushing down just enough to deform the plastic

table top and let the stylus come out of the groove.

There is also a possibility that the stylus is not set low enough.

I usually work that out with the customer on the phone.

Cheers,

Michael

I had a little trouble w/the stylus but called Michael and he told me to use a hammer and gently tap the top of the stylus so it would sink a little farther and be a little longer for the groove. If you can figure that out, you should be an interpreter. Anyway, mine works great. I just used the rope template yet again. Has to be my fav.

Thanks, Marie. Michael told me to try that, and/or padding under the templates in the low spots (my table is uneven and has dips between the cross bars). I am confident that one or both of these solutions will solve the problem. I can't wait to try the fan on my tulip ebay quilt!

Update: I'm in business! I bought a 10' roll of non-skid padding at Walmart, cut five 1/2" strips for the crossbars, and put the rest on the acrylic table. Put the Double Baptist Fan templates on top of the padding, and turned the machine on with no bobbin or thread, stitch regulator on, and ran through the entire template (don't want any surprises when I am working on the quilt). It is perfect! I tried to lower the bearing on the stylus holder and couldn't budge it, but that's okay, I don't need to now. Another good thing about the non-skid padding: I don't need to tape the templates down. They will not move! I tried to move them and I believe they are more secure with the padding underneath than they would be with tape. Woohoo! Thanks Michael.

Archived