stitch regulators

Sure you can add a aftermarket SR such as the Intellistich.

You might consider if the additional investment in a older machine is cost effective.

Also you will not have the same SR that comes on a APQS machine. All stitch regulators are not created equal.

This issue has been addressed sever time on the chat. Here is one thread;

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=5864#pid44627

John

What is the reason that APQS can't add a stitch regulator to the Ultimate II? If it is possible to take the old Ultimate II's and resell them as Liberties with the stitch regulator, then we know it can be done. I would just like to know why it can't be done for Ultimate II's, but it can suddenly be done if we want to purchase a green liberty (an old Ult II with a stitch regulator)

Teresa; good question. I know financially I will never upgrade to a Millie, no matter how much I want it; but I could possibly afford to add a SR. I've looked at IS and considered it. I want to try one before I buy. I would gladly buy one from APQS if it was offered. I truly understand the marketing and advantages of a Millie and I'd love to have one, but some just cannot afford the upgrade.

Please APQS listen to US!!!

The Ult I and II's do not just have a SR added. The only thing that is used is the housing and some of the gears and shafts. The machine becomes a Millie or a Liberty using the old housing. This is more than adding the SR. The entire electronics package and wiring is installed using the current parts. They are entirely different machines electronically. Also on the Ult II the presser foot is replaced with a hopping foot and it becomes a Liberty.

Maybe Mark will address this issue.

John

It is very costly to make the changes. All electrical is stripped out including the ac motor that is used in the UltI. The machine is then completely rebuilt. It is not cost effective to do them one at a time. They are built in lots of several machines.

I have been trained on the Intellistich and have worked on them in Noltings. They do not work the same as the APQS stitch regulator; however they have made some improvements in them recently.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for. Some times the cheapest price is not the best value.

John

Mrs Sew Sew and Teresa,

I have the Ultimate I and after PPP for 9 months, I decided that there were just some things that could not be done without a SR. SID is difficult, ruler work impossible IMHO, and tight custom work would be a nightmare.

I wanted the only limitation to my quilting experience to be my own ability, I did not want to be limited by my equipment. I also can think of a bunch of things that me and my family need more than a new Millie.

So for me, the Intellistitch was the answer. After a 3-month learning curve, I picked it up and am running with it. It cost me about $3000. Is it as smooth as a Millie? I think that most Millie drivers would say "No". But it works for me.

I agree with John, you get what you pay for. For me and my budget, it was the Intellistitch.

Now ask me what I would buy if I won the lottery? :P

Well, I would have a Millie setup on my yacht in the Monte Carlo harbor. :D :D

Hi Teresa,

You have a great question! But it is the same answer for us as when people ask if they can send in their U-Is and have us make it a Green Milli. It just isn't cost effective for us to do them one at a time. That is why we wait until we get 5-7 trade ins and then we can line them up and completely "gut" them as far as the electronics are concerned and then rewire them as a Green machine. John is right that as far as the U-IIs are concerned, we have to take them to our machinist and have him add parts for us to have a hopping foot on the Green Libertys as the U-IIs just have the floating presser foot. I hope this answers your questions. And also the way our encoders read the carriage wheels for the stitch regulator is done on the steel/aluminum tables rather than the wooden tables. Please feel free to email me or give me a call and I can discuss it further with you if you'd like. 800-426-7233 :)

Take care,

So Mark, If I understand you correctly it can be done if you have 5 or 6 or 7 Ultimate II's all needing done at the same time. So, If 5 or even 10 of us sent our machines to you at the same time, could you then make the change? If so, what would be the cost? Not trying to be nasty, just don't want to buy a whole new machine if anything else is possible.

Hi Teresa

I visited the factory where the heads are made earlier this year with the APQS team and in the back of my mind I think I remember Denny Paup telling us that not every Ult 1 or Ult 11 machine can be upgraded to have a stitch regulator because when they were first built the machinery to construct the head (position the drive shafts etc) was not as precise as it is now and precision to the millimeter (or was it 100th millimeter) was necessary to have a perfectly functioning stitch regulator. This might mean that you could send your head into the factory only for them to find its not suitable for an upgrade.

Have you found out how much you would get if you sold your existing machine and upgraded to a Freedom SR? To cut costs of the changeover you could have your new machine without motorised feed and thread cutter.

Buying a brand new machine would also give you a 3 yr warranty as everything is new compared with the one year warranty on a Green machine.

Also, have you been watching this list for private sale used machines - I believe there was a Milli this week and a Freedom SR.

Good luck

Originally posted by smorris

Have you found out how much you would get if you sold your existing machine and upgraded.

Buying a brand new machine would also give you a 3 yr warranty as everything is new compared with the one year warranty on a Green machine.

I'm not Teresa, but yes, our trade in would only be $2500 and personally that isn't enough....when these machines last a life time...I would think the depreciation would hold the value a bit better.

When you are on a strick budget....it wouldn't make any difference how many years I would get for a warranty...Its just a money issue....

I will give my 2 cents worth here!!!!!!!!No way will I trade my Ulitmate II in on another machine...or my EZQ either...they cost me too must money,,,and too, much hard labor of quiling to pay for these machine...I think these machines should of come with a stitch regulator in the first place,,,when we bought them...I guess we should of read through the fine print before we purchased them,,, everything is a rip off this day in time,,, it all for the money and what involved,,,as the old saying goes,,, We got for what we payed for,,,

But after feeling all this way that I do,,, I just love my machine,,, it has become a part of me,,I can't do without,,, and the people at APQS are a great bunch of people...

Lee:D:D

Teresa,

To answer your question...I don't know. That would be something that the bosses would have to discuss and see what they would come up with. I'm not in a position to make that call. :( But it can be something that we discuss.

Take care,

Archived