Cataract surgery question

Hi everyone. I will have cataract surgery in a few weeks, and am deciding whether to have long distance vision implanted in both eyes, or to have long distance in one eye, and a slightly nearer vision in the other (doc's recommendation). I've worn glasses since I was 7, and am quite comfortable wearing them after surgery.

If you've had cataract surgery, I'd appreciate hearing what lense "strategy" you chose, and how you like/dislike it while longarming.

Thanks!

I don't have the opportunity (yet) but I have awful eyes and am going to a few consults for laser surgery.  If I had my choice I would have great distance vision and then worry about reading glasses.       As it is now, I have several eye glasses for reading -  some for piecing/quilting/ computer work,  some stronger ones for up close heirloom work,  and some for just reading a book.  :-) 

I had cataract surgery about 13 months ago. I have worn glasses about 40 years. I had Crystal lens put in. These are more like your original lens. You can see for close and distance. I have a slight difference for close vision in one eye and distance in the other. I am an accountant and was apprehension about this. I knit and sew and read most all the time. I started out with contacts that were for distance in one eye and close in the other. I could see much better than I expected. This helped me decide with the split vision. I can thread a needle without glasses now. The only thing I have trouble is the fine print on some items in the grocery store. One thing I would definitely recommend is to go to a reputable proven clinic to have this done, someone that does hundreds of these surgeries. I used Key Whiteman in Dallas. There were a lot of patients there to try to have problems fixed that had been to less experienced clinics. My husband also has Crystal lens. He has had his about 4 years. Good luck.

I  usually do not post but this is a very important subject to me.  I had LenSx Laser Surgery with standard lens, which cost me additional $1500 per eye.  The first eye was done Nov 30th and I had a lot of pain afterwards for 4 days.  The 2nd eye I had no problem with other than I was seeing double with each eye separately and was very frustrating.  He told me to go back to my regular eye Dr that I had 20/25 in each eye.  

I went back in tears as I have had a lot of pain and was told that I had dry eye which I had none before the surgery and was told that I had astigmatism which I was told that the surgery would take care of it.  I went back today and the double vision has gone but was told that the flashing I will just have to deal with as it is a reflection off the lens and to expect it until if and when the tissure grows around the lens so I don't see the flashing.  I have a cloud that covers my eye and I have to keep blinking to get it to move and I was told today that it will not go away and that it was always there but due to the cataract I never saw it.  I am very disgusted as I was never told of the complications and was told now I have to wear glasses which I was told initially that I would only need glasses for close up.  I feel I have been lied to and if I had it to do over I would never have had laser surgery but was told that it is the best and that I would have better results with it.

The Dr was referred by his fathers business and when we went Phil asked if he was a relation to Dr Dexter and he laughed and said "why do you think you are here."  I should have know right then and there but I was also told by my regular Physician that I was in good hands so I went with it.  He also stated that he was the best surgeon in Syracuse.  I feel that I have just thrown away $3000 and I am still wearing glasses and I have pain in my eyes and and the only explanation is that I have dry eyes which I never had before.

I researched a lot before I had it done and thought that I had read as much as I could.  They show a movie of the procedure and show a knife going at your eye and then the other part is showing the lazer doing it and making a precise circle stating the exactness and perfection of the procedure.  Everyone else that I have talked to has not had this problem and my 93 year old step dad just had his 2nd eye done 2 days ago and no problems.  I would never have the laser done if I knew what I know now.

I did stress how important my eyes are to me as I sew a lot and create designs on the computer and use my computerized longarm and I am not very happy with the results I have.  It seams like they were just after the money.

Please try and do as much research and ask a lot of questions, so you don't wind up in the mess that I am.

Sorry to have made this so long but I felt it needed to be told.

Best wishes for a great success in your decission.

Donna

I  usually do not post but this is a very important subject to me.  I had LenSx Laser Surgery with standard lens, which cost me additional $1500 per eye.  The first eye was done Nov 30th and I had a lot of pain afterwards for 4 days.  The 2nd eye I had no problem with other than I was seeing double with each eye separately and was very frustrating.  He told me to go back to my regular eye Dr that I had 20/25 in each eye.  

I went back in tears as I have had a lot of pain and was told that I had dry eye which I had none before the surgery and was told that I had astigmatism which I was told that the surgery would take care of it.  I went back today and the double vision has gone but was told that the flashing I will just have to deal with as it is a reflection off the lens and to expect it until if and when the tissure grows around the lens so I don't see the flashing.  I have a cloud that covers my eye and I have to keep blinking to get it to move and I was told today that it will not go away and that it was always there but due to the cataract I never saw it.  I am very disgusted as I was never told of the complications and was told now I have to wear glasses which I was told initially that I would only need glasses for close up.  I feel I have been lied to and if I had it to do over I would never have had laser surgery but was told that it is the best and that I would have better results with it.

The Dr was referred by his fathers business and when we went Phil asked if he was a relation to Dr Dexter and he laughed and said "why do you think you are here."  I should have know right then and there but I was also told by my regular Physician that I was in good hands so I went with it.  He also stated that he was the best surgeon in Syracuse.  I feel that I have just thrown away $3000 and I am still wearing glasses and I have pain in my eyes and and the only explanation is that I have dry eyes which I never had before.

I researched a lot before I had it done and thought that I had read as much as I could.  They show a movie of the procedure and show a knife going at your eye and then the other part is showing the lazer doing it and making a precise circle stating the exactness and perfection of the procedure.  Everyone else that I have talked to has not had this problem and my 93 year old step dad just had his 2nd eye done 2 days ago and no problems.  I would never have the laser done if I knew what I know now.

I did stress how important my eyes are to me as I sew a lot and create designs on the computer and use my computerized longarm and I am not very happy with the results I have.  It seams like they were just after the money.

Please try and do as much research and ask a lot of questions, so you don't wind up in the mess that I am.

Sorry to have made this so long but I felt it needed to be told.

Best wishes for a great success in your decission.

Donna

Donna,

i'm so sorry you are having so many issues after your surgery.  My husband had cataract surgery and had the lens, as well as his mother.  Neither of them had any issues.  I had Lasik and I had lots of problems with dry eye.  My eye dr was the best and it took almost 2 years to get through the dry eye but it is now pretty good.  Make sure you're using drops all the time.  I like the sensitive eye drops the best and felt like they did the best to help with the dry eye.  I also did Restasis for 6 months.  If you ever want to come and get a 2nd opinion my dr is Dr. Brass with Brass eye center in Latham NY.  He is the best and always available!  He even gives you his cell phone number so you can call him any time.  I've torn my cornea 3 times since my surgery and he was always responsive immediately.  If you are in Syracuse it is only about 2 1/2 hours away.  He would be 100% honest with you on any possible solutions to what your experiencing.  

I had it done just over a year ago.

I had the artificial lense put on so I can see everything including long distance. 

I now only wear glasses to read, use computer...and I wear a special RX for driving at night.

When darkness sets on, after cataract surgery, they say it kind of closes in on you. Dont really get what that means,

other than you need a pair of glasses to sharpen everything up in the darkness.

I'd be leary of done one eye one way, and one the other. I'd be sea sick. lol

Hubby had it done about two years ago. Didn't have any problems other than dealing with the eye drops. He has great distance vision and uses reading glasses. Make sure you've got sunglasses in every car and extras on the table for going outside. When asked if he would do it again, his response is an absolute yes.

Good Luck-

Archived