Bernina 880 Embroidery bobbin issues

I have a Bernina 880 that is sewing a beautiful stitch, until I go to embroider.  I have cleaned the machine, bobbin case, bobbin area, oiled, cleaned the sensors in the bobbin are, made sure the threading is correct for embroidery, tried three different bobbins, and I am still getting interruptions in my embroidery with the bobbin message on the screen.  I am so frustrated!  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any assistance and ideas!  I love this machine, but...

Deb,

Other than the messages, does everything look OK?  Don't have this machine but those silly top thread, bobbin thread messages can drive you nuts!  Sometimes when embroidery the thread is moving so fast it flops a bit and the silly sensor thinks there is a problem...sometimes...you can turn the sensor off.... and sometimes the dealer can adjust it enough to stop the false messages....or sometimes...I just keep pushing the go button again and telling the machine to knock it off...Lin

• 3 years later...

There are some very big bobbin sensor issues with the 880.  I have tried to have mine rectified since it was purchased. Be sure u go to a respected BERNINA dealer.  Two of mine did not know what they were doing.(. Yes they were BERNINA dealers) A fourth dealer smartly said this needs to go back to Bernina- 

last fall they created a chg in the bobbin sensor- have yours chg’d and see if that helps.  The 880 is notorious and mine is still not sewing right I’ve owned four other embroidery machines - all were great til this one- very upsetting and I’m still making payments and there r no lemon laws to help

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am also having recurrent bobbin problems with my 880.  Its a major limiting factor.  I just had my machine serviced, including fix of the bobbin problem, get it home, and sure enough I was getting a bobbin error and could not run anything.  Problem is I live 50 miles from the nearest Bernina shop, and each servicing requires 200 miles of to and from driving.

• 6 months later...

I have 2 880's, and BOTH have bobbin issues. The sensor is OFF.  The problem is that the stupid sensor recognizing that a bobbin is inserted is a terrible design. The 880 is using the bobbin mirrors that WEAR OFF only on the 880s. I have 2 770s, 1 590, and 1 790, and only the 880 bobbin mirrors or silver paint or whatever it is wears off, and then your machine won't read that a real-life full bobbin is inserted.

Bernina needs to FIX this problem! It is almost enough of a frustration for me to start using a different brand of machine.

• 8 months later...

I just got an 880 Plus and have had 2 major bobbin jams.  The rep from the dealer walked me through unjamming it the first time.  Turns out that the threader was not in place and caused the jam.  Today was the 2nd time it jammed. The automatic bobbin won't rotate when I open the door.  Super annoying.  The area is clean.  No jammed thread.  The rep tried to troubleshoot using facetime, but in the end, told me to bring the machine back to the store.  I got the machine 2 weeks ago so its still under waranty.

• 3 months later...

I also have two 880s. BOTH somehow wear the ridiculous mirror coatings off the bobbins. Quilt Beginnings used to allow us to exchange, but no longer. Bernina insists they have fixed the problem, but it still exists. My one 880 is only 2 years old, my other one is 4 yo.

Extremely frustrating. I am going to exchange one of my 880s this summer. Not sure what for yet,  but as much as I love my Berninas, I'm disappointed with their poor customer service.

Currently I have two 770s, two 880s, and one 790.

At this moment, my newest 880 won't release the Bobbin... *sigh.

• 1 month later...

Just was without my 880 plus for 4 months. Needed a new sensor. My local dealer tried to fix it and had to send it to Aurora.  Received it back and tried to sew a label and the darn thing is back to its same problem. Keeps saying the bobbin door is open. Won't let me sew. Also when I did embroider,  it kept stopping and showing picture of the bobbin in red with a question mark. I think I am finished with this machine. If it's progressing like it did in the past, the bobbin door will start popping open and the machine won't be usable at all!  Certainly not worth the $$ 

• 2 weeks later...