flipping quilts

A customer has a quilt which is the hunter's star pattern and is half regular quilting cottan and half homespun. She wants me to outline the stars and then flip the quilt to work from the back to outline the paisley backing pattern between the star lines. I have never done any thing like this and wonder what your opinions are on such a project. Thanks for all your great messages and ideas which I read almost every day.:)

Actually this sounds rather fun once finished. You will charge her plenty for taking the quilt off and remounting, right? Might have to file this mentally for an idea for one of my quilts.

If you decide to go with it, please post photos!

Hi Sylvia:

I haven't done this yet, but I would think as long as you have the quilt well stabilized with stitching before flipping the quilt, it should go fine.

You'll have to post some pictures when you are done with it.

Char

How was she able to strategically place the paisleys on the back to be in the correct location between the stars in the front? Sounds like a logistical nightmare for placement. However, the results should look really great.

The paisleys are not placed but the lady who has the quilt wants an outline around rather small paisleys and meandering in between them to fill the space between stars. I think it will work because of the cotton borders. I told her I am willing to try it and we should have a backup plan. Thanks for the encouragement.

This is a good thread to ask everybody what they charge for turning a quilt. I sometimes turn a quilt to do difficult borders. But my turn is that north-south moves to east-west. I don't usually charge the customer because the times that I have done it was for a custom quilt anyway so I was already getting good $$ for the job.

Sylvia is going to have to turn hers OVER.

So what would do you all charge for something like that?

I would almost think you could charge double, because you are essentially quilting two different quilts, the one on the top and the one on the bottom. Of course, nobody would pay double, but I would be sure to charge plenty.

I'm wondering, like Grace, how she got the paisleys to be between the stars.

One thing I might try if I was doing it, would be to stitch the paisley part with NO THREAD. Then look at the quilt top to see how it looks before going forward, using the needle holes as a preview. That way you aren't ripping out a bunch.

I'd like to see pictures when you finish.

I put my zippers on the leaders so I could flip quilts end-to-end so as to center the top to the back, but I figured out that with an adapter, quilts could be flipped as required above (I thought I might need to baste a quilt with a stretchy back to stabilize it). So using zippers, flipping a quilt would take about 5 minutes to unload and reload.

I'm using a serger to baste the quilt to the zippers, because they come apart in about two minutes. However, I'm having to pin baste before serging, so it doesn't seem to save much time in loading yet.

How smart is Teresas idea?!?!! I will have to remember that! I just always

go for it - and end up having to rip now and then......

I would think the charge would be the same as turning it sideways - so you

are flipping it over, still taking it off and re-mounting it. Same thing, even

less so if you look at the fact the most quilts are not square, they are

usually longer on one side.

Sounds like a fun idea! As long as the Stars are close enough - that the

quilt is stable - so you won't get any puckers - it should work....

I want to try this sometime! Better yet - you could just freehand an overall

paisley design from the front and call it good. With out flipping it over. Who

is really going to look at the back to make sure you "Stay within the lines"?

Please let us know how it all turns out!

I'm still chewing on the zipper idea that smhowell mentioned above. I'm getting all turned over thinking about how you would mount a flipped quilt with zippers. Would the zippers on the quilt still marrry up with the zippers on the leaders?

Or do you have to flip it over and turn the quilt north to south to make it work on the leader's zippers?

Linda in R,

The zippers wouldn't work if you installed per the instructions because you have a male? on the bottom and a female? on the top of the backing and when you flip, the ends would be on the wrong side unless you did the north south thing but they still wouldn't match unless you didn't install per the instructions and used both the male on the top and bottom of your backing and installed the female the on the leader for the top.:o Is that as clear as mud?

I have a turning fee when I remove a quilt and turn for borders. Currrently my fee is $15.

Basicly it takes me about 45 min to remove the quilt trim the sides and repin it back on.

That is how I suggest you figure you fee for the flipping but in your case you will not likely have to trim anyting so just figure how long to unpin and repin.

I would not charge over and above that.

I got zippers at MQX last month but haven't installed them yet. Currently it takes me about 2 hours to mount a queen size quilt (I'm way too slow), but maybe the flip would go faster since I'd just be floating the quilt. But 2 hours at $25/hour, which is what I charge for "extras", I'd be charging $50 to turn the quilt. That does seem a little exorbitant! Gotta get those zippers on!

No - the zippers would not help in flipping it over or in turning it. They do

however make it much quicker to remove a huge intense custom job and

sneak in a quick little something...... or even if perhaps one forgets to go

under the roller bar in the back.... although it has been a LONG time since

I have done that one!!:D But I think we all have!!!;)

QuiltJunkie got it...I didn't follow the standard instructions when mounting my zippers. I didn't figure out all the tricks until I was nearly finished, so it took me a couple of tries to get it right, but it works perfectly for turning. I think it can be adapted to work for flipping, too.

Sharon

Archived