Shortest Stitch - When and Why

What is the shortest stitch on the SR? Is it 16? Can this be adjusted higher? Like to 18? I know the smaller the stitch the better for micro work, right? Not talking non-sr. Then again, I see a lot of people turning off the sr for micro work. why? Doesn't that make it harder to get the smaller stitches? Seems to me that there would be some big ones jump in and mess up the micro effect. When do you use a shorter stitch and when do you perfer to go with a longer one? Please keep in mind, I don't have my machine yet, just wanting some conversation and education.

I'm not exactly sure what the highest number on SR you can go to. I usually stay in the 11 - 12 range. The higher the number, the smaller the stitch. The Sr does put some drag on the machine, so when you are microstitching, it is alot smoother to go in manual mode. That is where you want a high or fast speed. If your speed is too slow in manual, you will get the big stitches, unless you move really slow. But then that defeats the purpose. I set my speed high in manual and then just go. You will get pretty small stitches while still moving pretty quick.

You can make your stitches with S/R super micro small. I think the highest number is 20, but I go up to about 14 for micro stipple. You turn S/R off for that tiny work because the machine luching like that is very hard and jerky on your arms. You go from using big muscle groups to using the small groups in your hands and wrist and they fatigue much easier. You should spend a day at your local dealer and try these things out...

Hello all,

The smallest stitch you can achieve while in stitch-regulated mode is 15 stitches per inch.

Many quilters opt to turn off the stitch regulator when doing microstippling, but not because the stitch length is unsatisfactory in regulated mode. Since the regulator senses your movements left and right, and with microstippling you are making very small, quick direction changes, quilters often prefer the "smoother" feel that the non-stitch-regulated mode provides.

To microstipple without the regulator, slow the motor speed down to 3 or 4. Remember, when you are in manual mode, the "chart" that correlates to your motor speed is the red-to-green arch above the stitch regulator hash marks. It's easy to confuse the two labels. The hash marks represent stitches per inch (9-15) whereas the red-green arch represents motor speed (0-10).

Slowing the motor speed down gives you a chance to "think" as you make the tight curves of microstippling. It also produces smoother curves than some people can achieve with the regulator on. Handy gadgets like the Microdrive handles can also aid in microstippling, with or without the regulator.

In addition, by simply moving the machine slowly at the same time, your stitches per inch increase, and can get even greater than 15 per inch. The good news is, when they're that small, who can count the number per inch, anyway?:D

Happy quilting!

Dawn

I find this a very interesting topic as I have never used the micro stitch. I am not really sure when to use it. Most of the quilting I do is either pantos, stipling or crosshatching. When should this stitch be used?

Lib

Lib,

Use microstippling any time you want another area to "poof out" or be highlighted. The heavy, dense quilting in one area causes the fabric to raise up in others.

Using a batting with some loft will help with this, such as a blend or a straight polyester. You want those raised areas to stay a bit puffy even after the quilt is washed. Remember that microstippling is very heavy, so it will make the quilt less drapeable.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Hello Kenna

I was curious about the same thing, but experimented by seeing how little I could makes feathers and vines. I created this little practice piece called micro feathers for fun.

The size of bobbin will help you get a perspective of the feathers and leaves, I tried even smaller but tension became an issue with such small motions and the SR on. I trried some with out SR on, but these things are so little that you need to focus your eyes, and you need to rest, so it worked better with the SR. I just sketch the cross hatching in without measuring so it's not real even, but that's not what I was playing with anyway... The only think I marked on the quilt were the splines of the feathers so they would be symetrical. The little design in the middle is made of the same curve just rotated.

Beside's the blurred eyes and a headache, I got this cool little sample piece. Some day I am going to do a miniture whole cloth like this. It was fun seeing just how small I could go.

Here is a link to a few pictures...

http://rockreefquilting.com/Quilt_Pictures/MicroFeathers/MicroFeatherSample.html

Once you get you machine give it a try, it's easier than it looks, just don't sneeze while your on one of the feathers!!!

Have fun... Mike!!!

Thanks for the great explanations! I guess I'm leaning toward doing some really detailed work on my own quilts since I keep dreaming up designs for the Hawaiian applique Quilt I'm working on, as well as the other quilts I see. I just keep dreaming of teeny tiny work! Pack this down, let this poof! Lines and curves and stitches! The designs are what keep me all starry eyed. No clue why I don't get like this over piecng but the quilting is what I've always enjoyed.

Dawn, I love your work, really appreciate your info! Have no clue about moter speed, etc. I'll have to keep hanging out with everyone here so I learn all this stuff! I'll be super-duper educated by the time I do get my machine!

Mike, I remember when you posted these pictures originally, I think I spent maybe 45 minutes scrolling up and down and back and forth looking at it! LOL! Have you let Kelly play with your toy yet? You've done some really great peices, please share more often!

Kenna,

Kelly is very proud of me and loves that I have really gotten into quilting and in particular for customers. Yes, I have let Kelly play, but she just finished teaching over 17 Units in addition to her regular job at Fresno Pacific. She was teaching some first level ESL (English as Second Language) and just Loves doing that, other stuff too. So no need to say she has been very busy!

One day I came home from somewhere and she was working on a whole cloth truapunto that she had marked up when we first got the machine. She wasn't sure about how to float the quilt, but was motivated and did not want to wait for me to help her. It was just a pactice piece for her, but I twas great that she actually just got it on the machine and started stitching.

She also made a real simple quilt that I quilted for her, it was for one of the other instructors in ESL program that was going to leave after 100's of years, it was really simple with white rectangles all over for the student's to sign. I am glad that she has started getting back into her love for quilting. She hasn't been very motivated for a while (I think everyone understands about those valleys in life), and being that busy did not help either. So by me doing all this quilting it has keeped us both focused on and involved in something she really loves. And that is GOOD!!!

I have finished about 8 quilts in the past few months and have photo'ed all of them, I just have not had time to put them on my web site yet. (I have a full time job too.) I have one on the Machine now, and two more waiting. Also, had 2 in the Oakhurst quilt show this past week. So it has been going great for us as a business.

Most of the quilts I have been doing have been coming from Santa Cruz, when I go surfing I stop at the Local Fabric Store and get stuff. I have a great relationship with the store owner, and manyof her customers have started using me for their quilting. So when I go surfing each week, I just pick up or drop off quilts too, all my sufing trips are tax deductible!!!

I will get more photos out there very soon! Get your Machine ASAP it is amazing how easy it is to get business after you just start doing stuff for people.

Bye for now! Talk with you and everyone out there more later...

Archived