Sad News

Guest LA

Dear everyone,

I have been asked to share sad news:

Dan Coats of Columbia River Quilting passed away this week from a massive heart attack while on a three week bike trip.

He died instantly and was gone before he hit the ground. He was doing what he loved ... bicycling. There will be a memorial service at their home on June 16, but a time has not been announced.

Please share this with those you know who were a part of Dan and Lorrie's life.

I feel fortunate and very blessed to have known Dan what a terrible loss for everyone and to our Longarm community.

Dan was always so cheerful & I will miss him terribly.

Guest Linda S

Oh my GOD! Oh Linda, I am so sorry to hear this. I liked Dan so much. Not only did he have a wonderful company, but he was a great guy. I'm so sad.:(

I am so sorry for all who knew Dan. May your grieving bring you peace, and knowing he was doing what he loved. How much better than to waste away in a slow process of pain, as I saw my father die. Please know I will think of you all who knew this wonderful man, and his family.

Thanks for letting us know. Wow what a way to go. Doing what you love. He was much to young to have passed away though. My sympathies to his family. I hope they can find comfort in his memories. Another reminder to us all, live it up -you never know when your turn is. I'm so sorry to hear this, Dan will be greatly missed.

I'm so sorry to hear this news - its shocking. I have been a regular customer of Columbia River Quilting for years and every time placed my orders with Dan. He never wavered in his excellent customer service, friendly and helpful attitude. I will miss you , Dan and so will our community of longarm quilters, along with your family and friends. This is sad . . .

- Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

For those of you that knew Dan or did business with him, we would like to invite you to donate a quilt block to his wife Lorrie.

It will be a scrap quilt, so any colors are fine.

We hope to have as many blocks as possible. :)

Here is the info for mailing the blocks~

Cut a 6 and 1/2 inch square of a medium to dark fabric. Please pick something with a nice print and nice quality fabric as this will be a keepsake for his family and may pass thru many hands.

Cut a 2 and 1/2 inch by 10 inch strip of a white or off white solid or print. With a permanent fabric pen, sign your name and state. It would be great if you could ink a nice quote or heartfelt thought for the family. Center the inscription in the middle 8x2 inch area of the strip.

I will make an autograph block by cutting the 6 and 1/2 inch square diagonally into two triangles, sewing the light strip in between them and squaring the block up. This is going to make a really nice looking quilt. If you want to go ahead and piece the block, that is fine. ( Fold triangles and strip in half and pinch to mark centers. Pin the long edge of the triangle to each side of the strip, matching centers, sew. I will iron and square up when I sew the blocks together. I would especially like to get fabrics and signatures from some of the other vendors who may not sew. Please pass this on to anyone you know who may have done business with Dan.

Send to

Nan Moore

2514 Guava Dr.

Port Orange, FL 32128

DANIEL A. COATS

July 31, 1945~June 6, 2007- The day is gone, and the darkness Falls from the wings of the Night As a feather is wafted downward From an eagle in his flight ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~ Dan passed away from a heart attack in California while on a three week journey with fellow members and friends of the Vancouver Bicycle Club. He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Lorrie; sister, Peggy Coats; brother, John Coats and cousin, Jay Hunter. He also leaves behind six children: Kelli, Brian, Stacey, Chris, Carol and Carrie; three grandchildren and a large family of in-laws, nieces, nephews and good friends. His family and friends are all very proud of his achievements. He will be deeply missed! In lieu of flowers, it would be Dan's wish as well as the wish of the family to have donations made to the Humane Society of Southwest Washington SPCA.

In Memoriam of Dan A. Coats

Southwest Washington Humane Society

2121 St. Francis Lane

Vancouver, WA 98660

www.southwesthumane.org

and or

Lance Armstrong Foundation

National Mail Processing Center

PO Box 6003

Albert Lea, MN 56007-6603

www.livestrong.org

He will be missed. He was so helpful to me when I started into the Longarm business and as I placed orders. Always pleasant & informative. I enjoyed meeting him in person & talking to him last year at Innovations. My prayers are will his family. I'll be making a block for his quilt.

Archived