How do I find a quilt guild to join?

Okay, I know this is a silly question, but I live in New Albany, Ohio, just outside Columbus; and want to find a quilt guild to join. I tried looking online but without success and I think I would really enjoy getting together with other quilters. Any suggestions? Thanks, Janet:)

Have you called your LQS's to ask about local guilds? If there isn't a local guild, find some quilty friends and put together a casual group to do fun things and sew for charity. Things can be as casual or formal as you want. Maybe an LQS will allow you to meet once a month at their shop? If you eventually want to do a non-profit guild, you will be well established and have enough members to sustain a guild. Just a thought.

Linda Rech

That's not such a funny question. I've tried finding guilds to visit when traveling and it can take a bit of detective work to find them.

First ask at the local shops. If there's a guild nearby, they'll know something about it. Guilds support their shops and vice versa. They may not know all the details but they'll know someone who knows something.

Check with the local paper. There is usually a column of community events and activities. It may not be printed in every issue but if you actually go to the newspaper office and ask at the desk they'll be happy to look it up for you. (At least in our friendly small town they will.)

Call a few churches. Churches often host either their own faith groups that quilt for charity or else they will open up their spaces for community quilt groups to meet. In our town I think there is an eleventh commandment: "Thou shalt quilt on Monday!" The Lutheran, Catholic, Episcopal, Christian, Community and other churches ALL have groups that meet to quilt on Mondays!

Then there is the library. We have two quilt guilds that use the meeting room at the library for their meetings. One group meets every Monday :D morning, the other (heathens :P) meet once a month in the evening.

If those suggestions don't turn anything up. Then you could always start your own and it's really not such a big deal. Just get a couple of friends to meet with, put an ad in the paper, and go for it! After a couple of meetings you can decide what you want to actually do at your meetings and what kind of quilting you are most interested in and go in that direction to start with. Just set a regular time and place and you'll be surprised at the turnout. -- so other people, just like you can find you, print out a few flyers to put up at the local quiltshops, coffee shops, etc. and take the information to the newspaper. If you have a local advertising cable channel they will usually put that kind of infomation on for a period of time for free.

Oh yeah, we also have the Soroptimist group that meets weekly to quilt, you guessed it, on Monday morning! They use the Senior Center and that would also be a good place for you to ask about a guild or group that meets to quilt.

~~ Eva

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janet, I was once in your shoes, trying to find a guild in my area with little success. I located one, about 45 minute drive away, the group was boring, almost all business. I kept thinking where are the quilts?? About 10 minutes before the end of the meeting they had a "show and tell" period. Another guild had something like a 2+ year waiting list to get in. They had a cap on the membership and no one ever left. My solution was this: I had a couple of quilts in a local show, I asked the person running the show if I could put a sign up sheet for any one interested in joining a quilt group at the door. I knew that the population viewing the quilts were either quilters themselves or at least interested in them. I had about 20 or so people sign up, of those only a handful could make the time I had set aside. I now have about 12-14 women who regularly meet at my house for quilting. Twice a month, once in the morning and once in the evening. Most of us have been quilting for years, a few are working on their 1st quilt. I made sure that everyone felt welcome, we all were beginners at some point. The smaller group size is great, a bunch of us just took a class in making the Mariner's compass block, in Sept when the kids are back in school we will do our own little shop hop. We actually just did our own show last month. I initially felt a little funny putting my name and number out their on the sign up list because I wasn't sure who would see it or if I would get bombarded with calls but the women who come to my home have become friends, we have a great time, we all have an addiction to quilting (some more than others) and mostly its nice to have other people to quilt with. So I guess my advice to you would be if you can't find a guild, ask you local quilt shop owner if you could put up a sign up list, I but there are women in your community that will be glad that you did. Good luck. DB

OOOHHH DB, Where are you? I want to come to your meeting. It sounds like fun.

I have the same problem here-only one guild, full of bitties who think hand quilting is the only real quilting. There is another guild about 80 miles away, but jeez, with gas over $3.00 a gallon who could afford to go to that twice a month. I like the idea of starting your own quilt club, but where do you find the quilters. Oh, wait a minute, if I knew the answer to that question I'd probably have some customers. LOL

I like our little online group. We offer each other great advice, listen to each other's problems, show off our great (and not so great) quilting, and support each other in every aspect of our lives. WE definitely have the greatest guild out there, right here on this chat forum. I love you all like sisters (and a few brothers, too).

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I would be willing to drive an hour to find a great group of quilters to join up with. So Michelle, exactly where are you located? I could mapquest directions to come to a meeting. My email address is jcarmstr@aol.com. Look forward to hearing from you. I hope this has helped others with a similar problem get an idea of where to look. :P Janet

Hi Teresa, I'm a little north of you up in Mass. near the R.I. border. I think you could do the drive in say 14 or so hours. I do like the group I've started, and I did it because there were none nearby or that I could join. It's nice to get together with other quilters, we all keep each other going, help when we need help and enable each other to spend money when we go out on our little shop hops. We all speak Hoffman, Moda and Timeless Treasures. It's wonderful to have someone else to be as excited about a line of thread as I am. (That's why I like this chat site so much) The newbies in the group are coming along quite nicely in these areas. I set up a large cutting table, an ironing board, put on a pot of coffee with danish or cookies to munch on. Everyone brings a machine and a quilt that they are working on. Lots of fabric, quilts and laughter. The hardest part was actually putting myself out there and contacting strangers and opening my home up to potentially alot of people that I didn't know. I wish you lived closer you'd definitely be welcomed, (so would everyone else on this site, but I think my house would get a little crowded and I'd have to put on a second pot. LOL, DB

Archived