What Color Prewounds???

Hi All. I want to buy a few different color prewound bobbins. What colors should I get? This confuses me because it's my understanding that the top and bottom threads need to match in color. If that's the case, do I get a blue to match all my blues, etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Gable :)

I am finding that BottomLine prewounds are almost invisible on most backers--except solids. The thread is so thin it disappears. I use white, cream, light blue and light green the most. Play and see what works best for you. If tension is a problem, match the threads as close as you can. Have fun and good luck!

Linda R

Good morning Gable,

If you have trouble with tension then it is best to use matching thread in top and bobbin. It can hide a few problems. And if you have trouble with tension, perhaps different color threads will help you determine where the problem lies. If no problem with tension, then try the different colors. Go for it, but you may want to try on a sample piece first.

The bottom line prewounds are fantastic an as stated almost disappear.

And remember, there are no thread police lurking outside so have fun with the different colors. :D

Carol

I don't always match exactly but try to get something kind of close...like today I'm using a straw coloured thread on top and cream on the bottom. I had advice lately to get a med.grey since it is very blendable. Most used...cream, definitely sage green and taupe.

I like to coordinate the bobbin threads to match the quilt backings. Sometimes it means using very different colors in the needle and bobbins. By having three separate bobbin cases - each set differently (one for prewounds, one for metal bobbins, and one for specialty threads), I don't run into trouble with thread tension -- but I ALWAYS check the bottom of the quilt carefully (on my knees with a bright flashlight) as I get started -- just to make sure everything looks right. I also check with a "fingertip test" quite often as I'm working -- if I can barely feel the thread lines on the quilt bottom, I know it's good. Superior has so many thread colors...how can we resist the opportunities to use them all?

I am with Karie on this one.... I match the quilt backing. I do not like to see

a quilt back with lots of different colors of threads.... some of those just pop

right out at you! I use Camel a bunch, great blender. As well

as a nice cream or natural color.

Good Luck - just do what works for you!

Archived