monopoly thread gets caught

BethDurand

Here's a question for everyone before I start my next quilt with monopoly. It comes unwound from the spool, and then wraps around the spool holder and breaks. Seems to happen mostly when I've got a new spool, and when it's closest to the machine. My husband made and attached my spool holder, so it sits perpendicular to the machine, off to the R side (non-bobbin winding).

Thanks for your help.

Beth

Hi Beth--

I'm thinking out loud here....so... the Monopoly spools off a full spool and usually off the machine side to catch on the spindle and break. Take a larger circle of craft foam and glue it to the problem side of the thread spool. That way the bad side thread has nowhere to fall off and catch on the spindle. Make sure the foam doesn't catch on anything or hinder the spinning of the spool, of course. Good luck and let me know if this works!!

Linda Rech

This is what I do with my Monopoly. I don't have a special spool holder, but I just put it on the normal thread holder. I have a bit of wool batting in the first thread guide above the thread holder and run the thread through that. Then I have a thread sock (a small piece of pantyhose I cut) over the Monopoly. I'm using it right now on a quilt. I have no problems and no breakage at all this way. But before I did this, it would loop off the spool and give me problems.

I think...sometimes...that monopoly comes off the spool differently that the crosswound threads on a cone. Therefore, you need to put them on a horizontal thread holder as opposed to a vertical such as the one at the back of our machines. Sooo, if you don't have a horizontal spool holder, you can improvise by tapeing a round stick, such as a cuticle stick, or a skewer or some kind to the top of your machine. Then I put the thread on backward so that the thread is coming off the spool toward me - oh gosh, I hope this is making sense. Are we talking about the same thing...or should I go back to bed and start all over??

I recently took a class in using my serger and learned that I had been using the thread sock the wrong way for years. Instead of pulling it over the cone of thread, you are supposed to stick part of it in the hole at the bottom of the cone and then let the rest of it turn up to form a cup around the bottom of the cone. That way the sock doesn't affect the tension but it keeps the thread from pooling at the bottom of the cone and breaking.

Now having said that, Mary Beth is right. The best way to avoid problems with mono-poly is to put it on a horizontal spool holder. Mary Beth, I understood exactly what you were saying, but then I was in the same class you were.

Phyllis

Archived