Newbie from Idaho

Hi to everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for the past year or so and love what you all have to say!!

I have been approached by a company that has an online store selling baby products and they would like to have me do baby quilts for them. Also, another store near my home town, would like to sale some of my quilts in their home decor shop. I guess those gifts I have given over the years have impressed some people out there.

So, I have come to the conclusion that getting a long arm is a must. If I'm going to do this I would like to learn to be a finisher as well. The problem I have is that most everyone around this area have Gammills and the closest place to actually try out an APQS is about 8 hours away.

Trying to decide between them is really tough when you can't touch our feel either one. I am going to sign up for a class that will be ready in September, on a Gammill, and that is about an hour away from where I am. So, if any of you have some insight you would like to share please do.

I have found out that LA quilters in our area are two to three months out and charge around .1 to .2 and inch. based on experience. There is also a LA group that meet once a month and they encourage beginners to come. This is an hour away but worth it, i think. I know I have a long ways to go to get there but I'm SOOO excited. I'm a criminal background researcher and would love love love to do this instead!!

Thanks for letting me chat!

Well, if it makes you feel better, I live way up in Fairbanks Alaska and everyone here has a Gammill except for a few have APQS and one of my friends just bought an A1. I love my machine and so far so good! :) You should try out all of the brands before purchasing one. It's worth the time to take so you know you made the right decision for you.

Welcome to the chat.

Welcome to the forum...I am so glad all of these lurkers have popped their heads out this week and started talking. Idaho...hmmm...don't know a soul there, wish I did.

Shana is so right...try all the machines you can before you decide, and don't feel bad if you pick something no one else has...if you get an APQS - good for you, I have one, I love it. But if you get a Gammill or an A-1 or whatever - you are still as welcome as can be to jump in here and aske questions or vent or whatever. We all like to talk...but if you have been lurking for a year you know that :)

Go to the longarm meeting and ask around to see what kinds of machine owner there are there. Maybe someone is a secret APQS owner. Or maybe you could contact the corporate office to find someone in your area that has one.

Good luck with your search and your decision.

Hi Tracie,

Welcome to our group!:)

Although we are many miles apart I am proably your closest Rep.

I have a personal machine for sale at a $4,000 discount, if you are interested in that info, or when I am teaching or to arrange for test driving a machine in your area, please contact me.

Have a great week-end!:D

I am a newbie too and I've ordered my APQS Freedom SR - due here in September. I tried out all the manufacturers that I could get my hands on and even attended MQS this year in Kansas City just to be SURE that this is what I want to do with my life. And I have a feeling it is a whole life decision. This machine will take up the better part of an entire room so you can't hide from it. Although I've heard some stories about trying to hide from it!

Talk to as many LA'ers as you can. They will tell you stories and listen to them because the bad stories are as important as the good ones. Good luck --- I know I will need it.

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

Linda, I love Corvalis, it's beautiful there!! It's been a long time since I have been that way, got as far as Bend last year.Which machine do you have for sale? I have really been looking at the Lenni yesterday and today. There are so many things to consider but this one seems like it could be a fit.

I would love to test drive a machine, is there a way to do that here or would I have to travel? I have four boys, all whom love football, which started today. Traveling may be difficult for the fall, but deffinetly not opposed to figuring it out.

Thanks for all your help:)

Tracie,

This coming week my APQS Freedom is arriving !! I attended the MQS in Kansas in June and had a GRAND time - tried out every brand of machine and really liked the feel of the Freedom. Plus all the APQS reps were more than helpful and friendly, it was a terrificl experience.

I will be attending Innovations in September and am especially interested and excited to be taking the APQS Maintenance class with Mark and several classes from Dawn Cavanaugh (sp).

I know that Idaho is a "hop/skip" from Tacoma (by plane) - Innovations may be your opportunity to test-drive many different machines in one place. The dates are September 19 (Wed) through the 22 (Sat). These long-arm specific shows are WONDERFUL!

Hawaii Barbara

Barbara,

I see you sign out as Hawai'i Barbara, are you from Hawai'i? My husband was born and raised on Oahu and he can't believe he is now in Idaho. :o We try to go "home" every six months or so, but lately seems like all the "bra's" keep coming here! :D

We have a few aquaintances in Tacoma so that just might work, matter of fact I did discuss it with my husband already and it could work. Although, my 15 year-old has a FB game that friday night, they put him on the Varsity team and I'm scared to leave town, but I could catch a flight early saturday. oooohhhh Just thinking about it makes me excited.

You all are great and I can't wait to meet some of you LA'ers.

Tracie

Tracie, what part of Idaho? I was born and raised in Hailey.

If you can make it to Innovations, do. it will be well worth your time and trouble. Be sure to call Linda in Corvallis, she is my rep and you will be in wonderful hands.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

Welcom Tracie - I agree with all of the above posts. Try as many machines as you can. Innovations is great because most of the machine will be there.

One thing that I have noticed from the longarm group that I belong to is that all of the Gammil people (at least 4) say they would never want to change, but they discuss between themselves how to fix a lot of different problems that they are having with their machines. There are only 2 APQS owners in the group (I'm one) and we just sit and listen. The other APQS machine is quite old and it never seems to cause the owner any problems - at least none that she has talked about. Just a FYI.

I'm about an hour away from the capital city, Boise, small town called Middleton, but many many rural communities close by.

My Father in-law lives part time in Hailey and we have been there many times.

Hope to make inovations and see you all there.

Tracie

Hmachine. I live in Boise. I have had a chance to try out a few of the machines and even take classes on them but my mind is still debating on which model of the APQS to upgrade too. I loved Lenni at the MWS show in Kansas but the Freedom and Milli have such a better throat space. I am going to be in Des Moines on Monday and take another test drive. It is a very big purchase for me. I usually pay that much for a car. ha Ha Cheryll

Tracie,

I am on the island of Oahu - Hawaii is paradise for my husband, an old surfdog - but I love being in the Pacific Northwest, quilter's heaven!!

This will be my second time at Innovations - it is great fun and a real learning experience. I have also attended Cindy Roth's "LongArm" University in Washington, long before I made my APQS purchase. Taking these classes is inspiring and encouraging, even for someone who did not have a longarm.

Hope you will be able to attend and try out machines to find the right fit!

Hawaii Barbara

Archived