Varigated Thread Breaking

Help! I'm using Signature varigated thread on top and Superior BL in the bottom. The top thread keeps breaking every 12" or so, very frustrating. This is why I don't use varigated thread much at all! But, just thought I'd try it again, alas........NO!

Suggestions?? Thanks quilters.

jrhelge@mchsi.com

Jane,

I recently had major problems with threads and ended up making the bobbin tension REALLY loose and threaded only one hole above the tension knob. I have a Liberty and this worked for me. Don't whether it's the right thing to do but I used metallic Sulky on a wallhanging and never had one bit of problems. My thought was if it works why not. I thread all the holes when using regular thread but specialty threads work with just one hole for me.

Pat

I am the varigated Queen and almost only use varigated thread. I only use Superior and only on rare occasions have a breakage problem. I have never been able to use the Signature threads with out the breaking. I know some people love them, but they don't love me and Superior threads are great and look beautiful.

Hester the Quiltjunkie:cool:

Jane, try wrapping a wet washcloth around the cone of thread and letting it sit for 20 minutes. Then try it again. Or, if you have time, sprinkle it with water, put it in a plastic baggie, and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight. Take it out about 20 minutes before you are going to use it. That might help with the breakage.

Sue from Maine

APQS Liberty

• 3 weeks later...

Jane, Signature breaks frequently on me also. If I take a magnifying glass and look at the thread it seems to have lots of little nubs and the variegated more so than the solids. I've stopped buying it in favor of Superior, Aurifil, or YLI. I've been using my Signature for piecing or practicing just to use it up. jeri

I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! Got that?:P

I have some and I've thrown it in the trash three times and taken it out thinking . . maybe one day I can use it. I must say I've had better results but not GOOD results with the Valdani and the Millennium.

I have a quilt on the machine now that needs variegated gray and the only variegated gray I have is . . Valdani. I'm going to try it and if it doesn't work, I'm throwing it all in the trash, then I'm going to the pantry to get a jar of Ragu (which I also hate) and I'm pouring it all over the thread and then I won't be tempted to get it out of the trash ever again!

No, I won't really do that because I'm too cheap to waste a $1 jar of Ragu but I think you know how I feel about Valdani (and Ragu).

By the way . . did you know that Ragu is made right here in Owensboro, KY? I suppose with a last name like "Laquidara" you've also figured out someone in my family is Italian. I hate red sauce (I don't like pizza either) but my husband is so desperate for spaghetti that he eats Ragu. Fed Ex is close to the Ragu plant and depending on what they're doing at Ragu (which says Lipton now on the outside of the plant), sometimes that part of town smells like garlic!

Whew . . I'm just full of information this morning, huh?

I foolishly purchased $100 of Valdanai variegated threads right after I bought my machine. Struggled for the longest time with breakage problems. I found that the horozontal thread holder helped a lot - it is a weak thread and I think the way it pulls off our cone holder adds to the problem.

Kari Schell

Millennium

Brooklyn Park, MN

Lynn, Over the past 2 years I've heard about many problems with Valdani threads on all types of machines. A customer sent me some to use on her quilt since she had been planning on quilting it herself and changed her mind. It was full of little knots and slubs so of course kept breaking. Beautiful colors but I won't fight with it again. jeri

I too am a "Varigated Queen" I use absolutely every varigated that is made, from the extremely cheap stuff to the most expensive you can buy and yes, I too had a plethora of troubles UNTIL I resorted back to my dress making days and drug out the "Thread Ease", a Dritz product, hangs right next to the "Fray Check"

For those of you who have never used or heard about it, it can be found on a notion wall in a fabric store, Walmart in the fabric department and in some quilt shops. Its a little silicon liquid that you put right onto the thread and it seems to stop the breakage that some varigated threads have (and some solids as well). As already pointed out there is a thin and a thick feel to the threads (results of dyes) and which ever is the weakest section is the one that breaks the worst (grrrrrrrrrr it does get old fast).

If I have a lot of breakage I run a line of produce down the sides at 4 different areas of the thread spool, and then a little in the tension wheels (yes, it can make a mess but don't use to much there, and then lastly I drip a tiny drop down the needle groove where the thread glides into...these extra spots help glide the thread better in case you have a burr on the needle and can't see it. You may have to loosen the top tension just a click or two, but nothing major, it has worked for me so hope this will help others out there that like the varigated threads, but have had trouble with them.

They are beautiful, but can drive you to drinking fast if you have nothing but trouble. Good luck.

Bonnie

Archived