Double wedding ring

Hoping someone can help me. While at quilt guild last night a member asked me about basting a quilt for her. It is the double wedding ring pattern. She hand sewed it and wants it basted so she can hand quilt it. So of course it has the scalloped edges. How would you go about doing that and what would you charge?

Angela

I would float the top and pin the bottom until I got close to the bottom. I would also use my channel locks to baste it every 5 - 6 inches. I think there is a debate on how much to baste but having been a hand quilter for more than 20 years I think it has to be basted every 6 inches or so. I would also use the dissolving thread. Another thing that I have heard of but having tried is basting the top to a water soluable sheet, which now comes in yardage. That would give you a straigh border to load and I think if you got the heavy duty stuff it would work just fine. I would trim away the water soluble about 1/4" away from the basting though as sometimes that stuff is hard to dissolve.

Heidi

I also would just float the top and baste about every 5-6 inches. I do this vertically and horiz. Or, I like this better, I do a large meander all over the quilt this keeps the quilt stabalized. I also use only white thread to keep any staining from removing the thread on the quilt. We usually charge about 35.00 for basting a quilt cause it's really pretty fast and easy. The scalloped edges are no problem just pin them as you go.

I would baste the bottom of the quilt to my zipper, across the first straight line below the scallop. I never do a full float -- not enough control. I would lay out the backing and batting as I usually do, put the channel lock on and run my straight line across. Line the quilt top up with the straight line, having the top of the scallops meet the line. Then I would simply work my way back and forth across the quilt. I baste every four inches, or about the width of my hand without the thumb. Easy peasy. No cause for concern. When you get to the bottom, remove the basting from the zipper and continue till you're done! Oh - by the way. Use regular, CHEAP thread. You're basting, after all -- it will come out easily. Don't waste your expensive water soluble products on a basting job!

I would overlap the quilt top on to the leaders until you get beyond the scallops. No need to be too precise on being square, your not quilting it. The water soluable thread is good but I don't think that the sheets are necessary as you can always put in a basting stitch by hand for the few inches that you overlapped onto the leaders. If you don't use water soluable thread, be careful of the color that you do use. A contrasting thread is good, but if you use a dark color like red, the color may transfer onto the fabric.

Well, I e-mailed her and told her $35.00. She wrote back telling me that I was way too high. The lady she normally takes it to only charges $20.00. Now what do I do? Do I tell her that I will do it for less to get the business. (I really need the busines) Plus she is our guild president. I don't want her telling people that I am too high when I am starting out and try desperately to get business. Read the e-mail from her a couple of hours ago and it really put me in a sour mood. Now I don't know what to do. Thanks for listening.

Angela

Angela, that is the same boat I am in. There are others willing to do for much less $$ than I would like to charge, but I REALLY need some business and some customers. This is supposed to be a five year plan. I'm up to 2 1/2 years and still only one customer and she's only one a year.

I don' know what to tell you. If you do it for less she'll tell everyone how cheap you are, and if you stick to your prices she may tell everyone you are too high.

Suggestions from others???

I have basted quilts for hand quilting, and I think it is absolutely mind numbing work. I didn't pay for a Millennium to do that kind of work.

I charge by the hour. I don't know how long it takes you to put a quilt on your frame, and maybe I'm slow, but it takes me at least 45 minutes for a big quilt, plus the basting time. I also have a minumum charge, and wouldn't hesitate to charge that for basting a large quilt.

If this customer can find someone to do it for $20, I'd say let it go. I wouldn't do it for $35 because I dislike it that much, and heaven forbid she should go and tell all of her handquilting friends that you'll do it for cheap, because then you're going to get a bunch of people that will expect you to do mind numbing work for sweatshop labor prices.

I'm not usually so vocal or negative, but I absolutely wouldn't do it for $35 much less $20. I would however be very, very nice when I turn her down.

Good luck to you!

Sue Kelly

I agree, president or not, she is not playing fair. Just stick to your guns. If you wanted to appease her in some way, offer her a 15% one time discount that would be $5.25 off of the $35 and might make her feel special and still let you get most of what you desire and what you are worth

For someone without a longarm, basting a large top entails floor-work (ugh, grunt--too old for on-my-knees anything!) or lots of tables pushed together--usually at the LQS if they will let you. Anybody who would do that for $20 deserves the business!

Let her know that loading the top will take 45 minutes because of the care and precision involved and that the stitching will take an hour and a half. Your hourly rate is $25 per hour for shop time so she is getting such a bargain--and turn-around will be quick. The hand-baster will probably take two days to do it--and I feel sorry for her!!!

It is a struggle to start up your business and you will want to please everybody--of course. But if you start on the cheap, you will struggle forever to raise your prices. Don't undervalue your work and let us know how you are doing. A year from now the now-ex-president of the guild will be bragging that she has you as "her longarmer"!!

Thanks for your words of encouragment. I typically give a first time customer discount of 15%. So that would still be higher than the other lady. And hey maybe the other lady knows what she is doing and likes to baste them. I on the other hand am scared to death. I think that I will let her go and work on getting other work. Going to go make some samples to take to some LQS. Been meaning to do that since the beginning of the year. The time has come to let go of my fears and get some thing done. Well I am off to make samples. Happy quilting everyone.

Angela

Angela

Hi Angela,

I might be popping in a little late but thought I'd try anyway.

I think that there are some things that should be dealt with via phone or in person, and not through an email. Email is so flat and not really personable.

I suggest you give the guild president a call on the phone and just have a friendly chat. You can explain your perspective and your predicament and what your wishes and hopes are. I think that if you are completely honest with her about your wishes to have happy customers and at the same time, run a business, she will understand your point of view.

Give her a call and be real honest. She will appreciate that and I think she will see where you are coming from.

I have also seen a rate of .005 or half cent per square inch for basting. I think $35 is very reasonable as a minimum charge.

I've seen a lot of long armers refuse to load a quilt for less than $50 even for a baby quilt. Since I am a "newbie" too, I will load a baby or lap for $35 plus $5 thread charge but as my customer base grows, I will go up to $50.

Archived