T-shirt quilt question...

Laurie

I have quilted a t shirt quilt before......mono poly thread on top, something else on the bottom, ditched the blocks and outlined the t shirt motifs.

I have a customer that brought me a t shirt quilt today.....she wants inexpensive (don't they all ). Of course, I think inexpensive is an all over design with So Fine thread on top. Now that I think about it, is it even possible (or a good idea) to do an allover on a t shirt quilt.....some of the shirts are very rubbery. Do I do allover but skip over the rubbery ones?

I'm looking for a bit of guidance here......

Thanks!

Laurie,

My first project on my Millie, back in April, was a t-shirt quilt. The t-shirts weren't as rubbery as yours may be, but I did an all-over panto, using grey Bottom Line on top and in the bobbin. It turned out just fine and is hanging in the lodge of our church camp. The t-shirts had all been stabilized, so they didn't shift or bunch. If you'd like, I can send you some of the photos - I just don't know how to post them here, 'cause they're not web-based.

Laurie,

I think I am the T-Shirt quilting queen....while in Reno, I quilted so many I got so I hated them, every shop was having T-shirt classes....so so many....

This was in the days before all the Surperior threads...it was there, but not as readly available as it is today, so I used a ton of YLI, STAR, and surger threads....I would soak the thread with "Sew Ease" so it wouldn't drag on the fabrics as some of them would cut the threads. ALSO...When I would get a rubbery one or one where the silk-screening was thicker then usual...I would drizzle "Sew Ease" down the needle and that would help it not get stuck in the fabric or tear the threads...

You may still have to drizzle "Sew Ease" down the needle so it doesn't drag...and it doesn't hurt the threads either....An over all meander or design is the only way to nail these heavy heavy quilts down...all of mine were t-shirt with flannel sashing and backings with QC batting, so they were heavy when done...Good Luck, it will go just great for you.

Come gradutaion time, they roll in every spring...I just wont do the panto on them, just for the reason you mentioned,the rubbery ones or they have photos on them...I just outline the block and go around the motif...also, I free hand the graduation date, their name , sschool colors or mascot name...friends names, etc. ..tshirt and sweatshirt fabrics do cause some skipped stitches, then add on the rubbery stuff...yikes...

I live close to a large college town (UT) so I get soooooooo many requests, not only to quilt tee shirt quilts, but to make them. I'm on my 4th in a month. So Bonnie if your the "Queen of the Tees "I'll be Princess.

I agree totally with Bonnie on thread and "Sew Ease". I also use Superior or, my farvorite, Signature thread. I do an all over design and try to just outline as much as of the "rubbery" parts.

Good Luck

For the one I did, I used Monopoly on top and bottom line in the bobbin. I stitched through the T shirts, over the words, etc. I just did a large wnadering meander to cover the whole thing. It turned out pretty good. There was one shirt that was really rubbery, I just slowed down and took my time on that one. The gal still uses it every day.

The more I think this out the less I want to do an all over. The tshirt blocks are 12" square and the sashing is about 2". This quilt is for an adult woman and my client wants a swirl, loopy, random heart/flower meander. I'll have to ponder this some more......

I appreciate all the suggestions........good ones! I will happily accept more.....

Archived