Centering the back to the front - help?

Laurie

Centering the back to the front

So, I have a quilt I just finished yesterday. 93 x 104. I centered it from side to side just fine. The back had a panel with borders all around and a final very wide border. I thought I had it centered ok until I got to the end.

If I have started 4" lower at the top, it would have come out perfect. I didn't, and the bottom edge of the quilt is just to the seam of the final wide border, essentially cutting it off.

Dang. I am pondering two things: taking out all the quilting (did I mention it's 92 x 104 size?) - an arrowhead meander - OR - calling the customer, have her look at it to see if it will work and just be done.

If I take out all the quilting, will it leave hole damage?

Suggestions? Experiences?

To answer your question, I put the top too high on the back by about 4". The quilt didn\'t really "scoot".

After loading the backing fabric on the rollers, I realized that I forgot to double check where to start the top. The backing had issues - it had been pieced with many borders - and it was a pain to roll it back and forth on the rollers to get it smooth. I really didn\'t want to take it off, remeasure, and put it back on.

I should have because it would have saved me from this dilemma.

I\'ve done this as well...welcome to the not so fun club....in a few cases I had to rip out enough to move the backing seam up a bit, but I never ripped out a whole quilt. I would leave it if its not much of an eye sore. Call her and see what she thinks.

I have had backs that were pieced simiular to this but my rule of thumb is in my business is unless the customer draws your attention to it by saying that she wanted you to center the top over the backing itself I wouldn\'t (I have a disclaimer on my order forms and website as well for the customer to mark the top of the top and back if there is a definate direction to the quilt/back). If the customer wants the top centered than before she left I would make sure that there was enough of her backing to center (sometimes there is not do to uneven border widths).

If the customer mentioned the back needing to be centered when she dropped the qult off then you will need to rip out and start all over. If she didn\'t then give her a call as a curtesy and see if she would even want you to. Maybe she would also be up to a percentage off the quilting maybe 10% if you left it as is.

Good luck, ripping things out is never fun, but sometimes the only way to correct a situation.

Yikes!!! Centering a pieced backer is hard for me.

The only way I have ever made it work is to mark the top and the corresponding place on the backer for it to be centered. When loading (full float) I position the top and backer with the marks lining up. Then I stabilize it across with pins to keep it in place--or you could SID there or baste across. Then I quilted from the center UP and then the center DOWN.

Worked great, but I charged an extra $30.

Most of my customers don\'t care--so far--if the center isn\'t right on. But if you have someone who wants a reversible quilt, that would be one way to do it.

I am hoping you won\'t need to spend your weekend frogging!!!!Good luck, Laurie.

I make sure my customers understand there is no guarantee on a centered back when it\'s pieced. It will be off top-to-bottom and possibly right-to-left depending on the piecing and the quilting done. Most often it\'s \'close\' but I have had a few that made me wince.

For those that like to get a bit fancy I have them speak with me prior to piecing their special back and give them suggestions that will make it easy for me to line things up and therefore get a bit closer to the mark.

Archived