Need ideas for a Jan Mullen´s quilt

Cristina,

That quilt looks like it would be real fun to quilt. It is definitely candy for the front of the machine. echo those stars and maybe put in a ghost quarter-moon. Quilt in some puffy clouds, birds flying in the distance like an elongated "V", tree branch outlines on those pines, smoke coming out of the chimney, dog walking in front of the houses and little flowers, grass sprigs and butterflies down near the bottom.

I think that I would quilt in some flowing hills off in the distance behind the houses. Maybe even a clothes line with shirts and pants hanging behind one of the houses. It would be a hoot. Maybe your client doesn\'t like pantos but she obviously likes fun stuff. This is a chance to let your imagination run wild.

What a cool quilt! I always keep a strong magynifying glass handy so I can see the detail of quitling in photos. That is where I would begin....................look at the pattern and see how they quilted theirs and then you will at least get some ideas. This looks like it has all sorts of possibilites.

On a quilt like that I will begin somewhere with my first idea and quilt that. By the time I do that I usually have an idea of what to do next and next. Just remember that first stitch is the hardest.

Thank you very much for all your ideas.

This is a very important quilt for me. It will be my debut in Catalonia, a region in the north of Spain.

This quilt was sent to me as well as other 8 more quilts to be quilted by me. This is the first time I receive something from the north of Spain. Catalonia has the highest density of patchwork lovers in Spain and there is plenty of work out there. My method of work is to go to the shops directly to collect and deliver the quilts myself. That´s why I only operate in the south of the country and every once in a while I receive a quilt from the capitol, Madrid.

In spite of that, I contacted a well known teacher from Catalonia this summer and she told me that she had heard about me. I had been recommended to her by other teachers from my area and she said that she wanted to send me quilts from her students. Up until now she used to send all her quilts to a longarmer that lives half an hour drive from her. She said that she wanted to send quilts because the other quilter has a 6 months waiting list and because she wanted to give a try with me. She forgot to say that my tariffs are lower than the others but I supposed that she didn´t want to offend me.

The other long armer has a very good reputation in the Spanish patchwork community and I´m very nervous about doing something for people who are used to other longarmer. Until now, all my customers were new to machine quilting so I can say that they learnt to love machine quilting with me and that they are used to my style. This time is different and that´s why I want to do something special with this quilt which I find brilliant.

I plan a trip to Barcelona, in Catalonia, the 3rd weekend of November. There is a craft fair and I plan to contact a few patchork shops during the fair. I will also take the quilts to the shop. I want to see the customer´s faces when they see their quilts. If they like what they see I will get many orders so wish me luck.

Best wishes,

Cris

Hola, Cris! Hey, I have a thought: Perhaps you can get some mylar (clear plastic) or something similar that you can roll across the quilt top and use a water soluable marker to practice drawing some of your little quilting designs. Lay the mylar over the top of the quilt and you can see through the plastic, then you can practice drawing ideas before you actually put the quilt on the longarm frame and stitch. This might give you some confidence and to practice the ideas that Linda (Ramona Quilter) gave you above. I cannot wait for you to share the finished quilt photos with us. This is very unique and fun quilt with so many creative possibilities and I know you will really shine and do a fantastic job. :) Please share when you are done!!!

Hi Cristina,

What a lovely quilt that is.

Further to Shana\'s idea to "practice": there\'s a very easy way to practice quilting designs without actually sewing:

download and install the free trial version of Pre-Design from page: http://quilters.pre-design.eu

Make a photo of the quilt and open that photo as a background image in Pre-Design (menu Background > Load from picture file). Be sure that you have resized the photo first so that it has a small file size (under 1 MB).

In the Pre-Design toolbar on the right there\'s a button Show/Hide background image: click once to fade the image a litte bit.

Now take the Curve tool and start drawing your lines: click from point to point and double-click to end a line. You can use the undo button to start over and you can select and move or delete points too.

With the plus key on your keyboard you can zoom in, minus key to zoom out, or use the scroll wheel. Press the space bar to fit the view.

Now, and here is the fun part: suppose you made the absolute perfect design for your quilt: resize it to match the size of the quilt (choose menu Edit > Select all, then right-click and choose Size. Enter the width you measured and click OK.

Now you can print the pattern and it will print at the actual size, divided over several numbered pages.

Check out the screenshots page on http://quilters.pre-design.eu to see how to use Pre-Design.

Pre-Design will automatically install in the same language as your Windows version, so if you have a spanish computer: Pre-Design will be in Spanish.

You can change the language via menu Options > Language (Opciones > Idioma)

Good luck!

Loes

Thank you so much again. I didn´t think about pre-design before. I´m going to give it a try since I´ve heard a lot about it. I suppose that it won´t be hard since I´ve used to work for arquitects in the 90´s using Autocad.

I promise I will post pictures when I finish them.

Best wishes,

Archived