Set-up, correct table height

Hi all,

My Millie arrived yesterday and I will be setting her up later today. I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about proper table height. I am rather tall, about 6 foot, and would like to know how to gage the proper height of the table. Is it easy to adjust if you don't get it right the first time. Also, what pins are best to use for loading, I was hoping there would be some with the machine, but that is not the case.

Thank you for the help.

Patty;

I don't know what to tell you about the table height, mine was set up for me and it works so I haven't "fixed" it!

As far as pins, I use 1.75" T pins. You can buy them at Joann's. While you are in the notions aisle, you might like a magnetic wand also. The pins and the wand are both inexpensive and the wand makes picking up dropped pins a breeze. I use a small metal container to hold my pins and let the wand "attach" them to the roll bars of my Millie.

Hi Patty,

I notice that you live in Florida. Our daughter lives close to West Palm Beach. We are in central Ohio & it has been so chilly the last few days I have wished I was down there!

Bet you are so excited you can't hardly stand it. I know I was. I got my Liberty in December.

I was concerned about table height also but because I am petite. Unless they have changed things in the last few months, the tables for all of the machines are the same height with no adjustments unless you have the Hydraulic Table Lift.

There are small adjustments you make at each leg in order to make sure it is level but nothing beyond that.

Try it first & see it if works for you. I sit on a tall drafting stool to quilt & I like to be at a height that keeps my forearms parallel to the floor.

If you find that you need more height, they recommend large casters. You can get them from your local Home Depot, etc. They use them for their machines at shows because they roll around easily. If your machine is on carpet that is fine but might create a problem if it is on a slick, hard surface floor.

My machine is in the basement on a concrete floor & I found that there was alot of vibration that I didn't like. I purchased rubber pads like you sit furniture on, inserted felt pads & put these under the legs. Really helped.

About the pins, I was told to buy the long "T" pins. I didn't like them. They made large holes & were hard for me to work with. After a few quilts, I switched to the flat, flowerhead pins. I have arthritis very badly in my hands & these pins are very easy to slip in & out of the fabrics. Some quilters think they bend too easily but I've used them for months with no problems.

Everyone has a favorite. At our local quilt shop, they love to use the corsage pins. So just pick one & go with it. Buy more than you think you will need though because I thought I had bought enough the first time. WRONG! :(

I know you will love your machine. Have fun! :P

I also use the long flower-head pins. I first used the T-pins but also found that they were leaving big holes in my leaders, so switched to the flower-head pins. I really like them a lot better; they are a lot thinner and so are much easier to pin than the T-pins. I am almost as tall as you and do not have the machine raised up. It is no problem from the front as I sit in a drafting chair, but from the back when doing pantos, I do find myself bending over a bit. I'd never thought about it till now, but I guess it's a bit too short for me. I don't do a whole lot of pantos, so I will just live with it, but you might get some casters or maybe blocks of wood or something when you put yours up. Enjoy your new machine!!

Hello Joe Ann & Deanna,

Thank you for your replies. I was under the impression that the table was height adjustable, without the hydraulic lift. oops. :( I did buy some casters that are 5" I believe, so hopefully that will get it tall enough for me. Don't want any pains in the back! I do plan on getting a saddle stool later.

I have used the corsage pins (yuck) and the flower head pins on a friends *G* before, I like the flower head pins too, but have read so much about T-pins. Just curious about those.

Jo Ann, I will trade you places.... just kidding. It is already hot & humid here. I am in the panhandle between Pensacola and Panama City Beach. Thank god for the swimming pool!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Yipee, another tall quilter... I am 5' 11", when we first sat up our table my husband put 2 2x4 blocks stacked on top of each other to adjust the height:D I think I looked in the manual and realized that you could turn the little things and the bottom of each leg and adjust the height. I also found something somewhere (sorry) that said to be ergonomically correct you should stand at the end of the table - at the bar that connects the front legs to the back legs - and stand with your elbows bent at a 90 degree angle and adjust your table accordingly. I have since retired the 2x4s:P

Hope this helps.

Mary Beth

Table height

I was always told when sitting at a desK or keyboard to have a 90 degree angle on you hands to shoulder. This will keep you from having injurys to hands.

As for pins, try hat pins to load quilt. Benfranklin Stores have them. Or check online. I got a tray @ Grizzleys. But you can get a magnet tray to put pins in at a Auto Supply. Good luck Nita

Hi Patty,

Congratulations on your new machine! As Connie says, the height is adjustable on the legs to several inches, higher or lower. It will make sense when you put the table together. Since I'm very short I found none of those heights felt right, and had a friend make some blocks of wood with a depression for the leg to rest in to raise the machine to my perfect height. I also use a drafting chair from the front, and had no problem adjusting it to fit the new height of the table.

Hello everyone and Thank you for all of your replies.

I got her set up yesterday and with my castors on, I think I have the height adjusted correctly. I did figure out how to make adjustments if necessary.

I just finished my first practice muslin. Wow, what a blast!!! This is going to be such fun!!!! All of that doodling really does help. Tomorrow I think I'll work on the pantograph side.

Speaking of pantographs..... I picked up some really cool ones at MQS. I was wondering, if the quilt is directional and the pantograph is directional, which way is best to load the top? If you load your quilt with the top first on the take up roller, then you would need to stitch the pantograph upside down. Or is it easier to just load the bottom first on the take up roller and stitch it so the pattern is going in the right direction. Since you are at the back of the machine. I hope this makes sense.

Barb, where in NE fl are you?

Thanks again,

Archived