Stand Alone Quilt Hanger for Photographing

Mine is a wooden slat with pony clamps. It is suspended from the ceiling of my studio by two eye bolts and white nylon rope. The rope is tied to the eye bolts at the top of the slat and runs up to the ceiling through two more eye bolts (attached to the ceiling joists for strength). Then the two ropes are fastened to a cleat (those boat-tie-off-thingies) fastened to the side wall. I can easily pull the slat up to the ceiling to display a BIG quilt or pull it up completely out of the way without a quilt on it. Works great but is not moveable, of course. Thank you to my DH for rigging this for me!

Another affordable way to display your customer quilts is to make a leader sleeve to fit strong purchased Curtain Rod that fits your zipper system( if you use one) and install a nice Rod on your Studio Ceiling or Wall so you can just zip it up once it is off machine to inspect it. I like it on ceiling as I can inspect closely the front and back comfortably. Just zip it up. Make your leader the length you need to get quilt the distance you want from the floor or ceiling for easy viewing of the customer quilt. I got that from Myrna and it works like a charm. If you do find a mistake or a skipped area on your quilt it is a piece of cake to reload and take care of in a jiffy as you haven\'t removed the zipper system at this point.

I like using Attractive Wall Drapery or Curtain rods with the nice clips so they are easily changed out if you want for displaying finished projects. Haven\'t used them for any really large quilts I must say.

With the system Tammie is describing I purchased a 1 inch diameter length of copper tubing at the hardware store. I slide my zippered sleeve onto that. I keep a quilt on it and just slide it off when I need to take take a look at a quilt in progress or just finished. For hanging it on the wall I got inexpensive wooden curtain rod hangers and painted them as desired. If you want to hook it to the ceiling you can use the bigger hooks that have the screw end. If you want the quilt lower you can use a loop of strong jute or something similar and hook it to the ends of your tube and end the hook.

Myrna

Archived