Quilting Batiks

gable428

Guest Linda S

Have you got your quilt sandwich pulled too tight? I\'ve done several batik quilts and never had any problems, but I know some folks have trouble. Make sure your quilt isn\'t too tight on the rollers. That can cause skipped stitches and breaking thread.

Linda

I just removed a completely batik quilt, front and backing and since I was doing echoing I used Bottom Line in the top and bobbin and had no problems..I use a 3.5 needle on batiks because it makes a smaller hole and if you do have to rip it\'s less noticeable. But like Linda said you don\'t want the quilt too tight since batiks are a very tight weave to start with and it makes it a little harder for the needle to pierce, so if the quilt it too tight this adds to the problem.

Did you loosen your tension when the thread kept breaking? I use a 3.5 as I usually do. Again check that your quilt sandwich isn\'t too tight. What thread are you using?

Remember with the tight weave of batiks your stitches and tension may be perfect and they may not look like it because the can\'t sink in as nicely as on regular cotton fabric. Also, did you check you thread path?

Myrna

Originally posted by RitaR

I\'m curious, are the batiks a bit harder to quilt thru because of the way it is woven, or because of the multi layers of coloring?

RitaR

I am going to take a giant stab in the dark and say "all of the above" -- probably a combination of the tight weave of cotton + the waxes that were used in dyeing?

I knew the weave was tighter in batiks, but I had no idea about the waxes. I\'ve loosened the quilt sandwich quite a bit and changed to a smaller needle. I\'m using Robison Anton thread and so far all these changes have made a big difference. Thank you all for the replies:)

Archived