Ore. & Wash. chat members

Yah, I am also worried about three of my five sisters... they live in the Seattle, Portland and Salem areas... I think their homes are on higher ground and maybe out of the flooding...but still, it is kinda scary! One of my sisters works for a major power company in Portland, so I will give her a call to check...

Hi,

Well, depending on where you are, will depend on how wet you are. We got about 13" in about 48 hours, which I\'m not sure includes the 6 plus inches of snow we had on Sat/Sun. Power outages/glitches really cramp my style though. CQ is not power flucuating friendly. But, I did get some reading done. We had lot of water on the roads from hillside run-off (lots of marble/golf ball size rocks on the road. That was fun. I\'m sure Linda Rech in Olympia has some stories to tell. Not really that bad in my part of the world. I\'ve been through worse.

Hi everybody--thank you for your concern.

Interstate-5 (our North/South link from Seattle to Portland) is underwater for 20 miles south of us. Lots of co-workers live that way and aren\'t getting out or back home.

Semi-trucks are detoured 300 miles to Ellensburg and south to Yakima to get to or from Portland/Seattle. So, the truckers are deciding to wait out the flood and the semis are backed up nose to toes for 10 miles on the medians on either side of the flooding. Wide spread power outages but we never lost power at home--lucky! On our coast they are still out of power--they had hurricane-force winds of 100 miles per hour and lots of damage and flooding. Seattle area still has thousands of people without power for 2+ days. We had a similar storm in 1996 that was called the storm of the century. Well, that was last century and this one came early for this century!! We are fine, friends and family are fine and the house is still standing--definitely luckier than a lot of people. Two weeks ago we took my sis out for a birthday dinner at a BBQ place locally--that restaurant was hit by a mudslide and pushed out into the street--completely demolished! Yikes!

Be safe everybody and happy holidays!

The worst horror story I\'ve seen so far is Lincoln City, on the coast, where they clocked a gust of like 125 mph. We lost our famous for being the largest Sitka Spruce in the US tree. It had been damaged severely a few years ago, and this was the death knell for it. I always liked to look for the sign to the tree on the way to the coast, even if I didn\'t stop to visit. Glad I did last time I went through though.

I think that in Portland (where I am) most of us are fine, water on the roads on Monday, but nothing too serious. There\'s a rumor among the quilters at the shop tonight that I-5, the main highway between Seattle and Portland is closed for about 38 miles because of the river that\'s supposed to crest. So if you are in one city, and want to go to the other, it\'s either fly, or go way the heck out of your way. Guess Linda R. won\'t be coming down to visit for a while.

Surely appreciate people checking on us. I think it\'s best not to watch the news because they overdramatize everything. Seems like each station sends a reporter to where the worst things are, and give the impression that this is what it\'s like where-ever you are.

I live in the city of Portland and have only had the ongoing problem that our house has settled and the backyard slopes into the house. so we had to dig tenches to get the water away from the house and leaking in the basement. We now have a motte (sp) in the backyard. that shoudl work for the winter. There is a family beach house in lincoln city and have no idea how it faired. We will find out soon enough

Thank you everyone for replies.. I know how news exaggerates.. Like the fires, the flooding hits areas and not others right close by. Most of the big cities are on hills in Wash., Ft. Lewis is fairly flat, but on a ridge above the Nisqually river valley area.. Most of their absence is from power outages, and phone lines down.

Prayers for all will continue.. RitaR

I live in Salem, 35 miles south of Portland and we had a lot of rain and a lot of trees have come down around town. The worst is over on the coast. The city of "Bay City" just north of Tillamook had a Methodist Church built in 1883(?) lost it\'s bell tower. And they had a gust that was 129 mph. Our neighbor is a lineman for our local power co and he and his crew are over in Tillamook for the next couple of weeks to try and get the power back on. Also a friends son lived with his 2 kids in the town of Vernonia and they were flooded out and lost everything. They were evacuated and had recently moved there, were renting and had no renters insurance. If you would remember them in prayer that would be good.

www.kitsapsun.com

A friend over in Port Orchard, Wash., near Bremerton, on the Olympic Penninsula sent me the above link. Kitsap is one of the Counties.. I know, this shows horror and more horror, but it also as she said, just a smidgen of what has happened that they\'ve no access to, also.

Remember.. just a few blocks or miles makes a big diff ...

Prayers for all concerned.

RitaR

Archived