multi layered Batik challenge!!!!

Howdy kids!!

Since I'm here I thought I would ask if any of you have had experience quilting tops with SEVERAL LAYERS OF BATIKS applied with WONDER UNDER!!!!!

The pattern is a wallhanging done with various farm animals and scenes. It's an adorable top but....... (just in one spot only so far)I've counted 7 layers fused on top of each other . It sounds like I'm quilting a skin on a drum and my stitches look crappy. Even my DH announced that it wasn't a "real quilt"!!! I'm charging my high end custom price and $3 per thread color.

ANY ADVICE?????? THANKS!!!!!!!

yes!!

that is it EXACTLY!!!

usually I am of the school of thought that believes quilting adds that extra element that" makes it".....

but for some reason that\'s not happening in this case.

some of the pieces are super tiny and the holes left by the needle do not add to the overall "quilty goodness"!!!!

I was looking forward to quilting this top and now I\'m not feelin the love so much......maybe it will look better when it is hanging on the wall and not right under my nose!!!

oh well that\'s what I love about doing this.......every time its a different set of challenges, issues, piecing skill levels, color preferences and fabric choices!!

Never a dull moment at the Milli!!!!:P

Try using liberal amounts of Sewers Aid. It really helps plow thru all the iron on stuff... of course it has to go where you intend to sew, or on the needle often, or load the top thread.. and then hold breath, breathe out and relax.. Pray no broken needles.. thats an auto $15.00 fee, right? ;)

RitaR

Hey Rita R...

thanks for the advice!! I haven\'t ever used Sewers Aid....

it\'s a lot like Budweiser right?????:Dhar har ;)

except you apply it directly to the operator instead of the equipment...??:P.....

I\'m not gonna sweat it so much........I\'m thinkin nobody else was willing to quilt this for her( I was at an out of state quilt show vending and she came in at the last minute literally as we were packing up) she didn\'t have the top with her and mailed it to me a few weeks later. Things would have been handled a bit differently if I had seen it in person first.

sew far .....no broken needles...just a lot of empty bottles!!!!

bwaaahhahahah just kidding ...;)Fa la la!!

Hi Susan!

One thing I learned is to use that silicon spray - I got it from the Kings Men quilting supply site.. It\'s only \'bout $7. Just spray the heck out of it on the top... oh yes! don\'t have your quilt sandwich too tight. Hope that helps a bit too!

Good luck!

Hey Bobbi!!

Thanks for the tip!!. Guess I will have to get some and have it on hand for the next batik adventure. I know the fabrics arent too tight because I\'m floating the top....that much I knew from reading all of the great advice here .....

Now that I\'ve moved on to different thread colors in different areas it\'s starting to look better overall I guess.......

must be the beers;):P!!!!!!heehee

I will post a pic later...almost time for bed.......

thanks again ladies!!!!!!!!!

Susan,

Is the fabric fraying badly as you quilt it. I\'m really worried about putting all that time into making mine and then having it get messed up quiilting it.

But, as you said, the quilting is supposed to be used to add the extra dimension and life to the little animals and plants.

Send me some pictures of how it is going, and how it turns out *(close ups) so I can see if I\'m ready to start mine yet, or if it will sit in the box for another whole year.

Thanks

I\'m not sure if others have done this, but what I do is I use a light fusable web for applique (especially if pieces will be on top of other pieces) is I cut out the inside area of the fusable web (before ironing on) so the webbing only sticks to the outer 1/4" inch of the fabric, then I cut it out on the line and stitch it down with a zigzag or blind or buttonhole stitch on my DSM. The inner part of the fabric is not fused at all. That helps eiliminate any multiple bulky layers of icky stuff to quilt through later.

Sorry I can\'t really help you with the quilting, Susan, but you did get some great tips on how to accomplish this. Good luck!

Thanks for al the support ladies!!

The fraying of the fabric isn\'t an issue. I\'ts the holes left by the needle and the quality of the stitch isn\'t as nice as a "non-fused"/regular fabric(not batiks) top. If I were to make one for myself to quilt I would for sure reduce the multi layers in places and consider less fusible web for sure.

Despite all of these issues I am actually enjoying working on it though!

Its a nice change of pace from the repetitive block scenario!

Archived