Back to Work and Another Quilt Pic

Sigh...time to go back to work tomorrow. I had all of last week and some of this week off so I shouldn't complain...

I've really enjoyed the time off and reading everyone's posts and comments. I've been glued to the APQS website for the last week or so. As the Posts turns...

It's really been fun watching people learn how to post pics to the chats.

I just finished a customer's quilt and I just have to post a pic...this is one of those quilts that will fool ya.

When I pulled it out of the box, I wasn't real thrilled ... I couldn't really see the design. Even when loaded, I couldn't tell what the overall quilt looked like. My husband just finished quilting and I asked him to hang it over the stairs and Wow...now I'm impressed.

So one last pic before I head off to work.

I have additional pictures at http://www.yeoldeforest.com/BrendaQuilt.html

The design is Deb's swirls using CQ with monopoly thread, lofty polyester batting...

post--13461898911062_thumb.jpg

the batting was a fairly high loft polyester.

Gulp...just found out this quilt is close to 100 years old!! and hand cut and sewn...glad I didn\'t know that before we quilted it...now I have to add binding and I\'m scared to death to cut it!!

Here\'s what my customer just wrote to me...

"I have one other vintage Hawaiian quilt that my mother hand finished for me (took her a couple of years). The hand finished quilt was estimated to be over 100 years old. This one was also thought to have been around that era(late 1800\'s)...according to my mother-in-law (Hawaiian ethnicity). I have had this particular quilt in my possession for over 20 years. My husband is from Hawaii and we just recently moved from there and we have a collection of different Hawaiian quilts, both new and vintage, and this one was just so very large!"

She also gave me history on Hawaiian quilts...guess this is why it looks like a snowflake!

Quilting in Hawaii back in 1820\'s was done in the patchwork style. The Hawaiian women tediously cut the material into the patchwork squares and sewed them back together as they were taught by the missionaries. This domestic duty to the Hawaiians was confusing for two reasons. First they could not understand cutting up material only to sew them back together again. They felt it was a waste of time and precious material. The Hawaiians were raised to never waste anything they used and time was precious among all the Hawaiians. The second reason this domestic duty was confusing was because the weather did not get cold enough to warrant the use of quilts in the islands. The Hawaiians being good students watched, learned and listened and then adapted quilting to their own unique style.

The Hawaiian women created and adapted their unique Hawaiian quilt designs from their tapa, the clothing that they used before the foreigners came to the islands. The quilt designs would eventually be created in a 1/4 or 1/8 design. The Hawaiians were able to take a full piece of material fold it into their 1/4 or 1/8 design, cut out their pattern and lay out their quilt. The excess material was then given back to the missionaries for their quilts

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

I love the Hawaiian quilt. I had the chance to go to the museum on Kauii when a Hawaiian lady (sorry, can\'t remember her name) was there demonstrating the hand quilting she was famous for (many awards & ribbons on the display) and telling the historical stories of Hawaiian quilts. I was able to hear many stories and look at a dozen or so beautiful Hawaiian quilts. They had a small store there & I got some great prices on some books on Hawaiian quilt designs. I found that musuems are a great resource on native textile books, just a FYI.

Archived