How would you quilt these borders?--with pics

Hi,

This is a large king size quilt...I am going to quilt the body of this quilt with my CQ using JoAnn Hoffman's "Ginko" pattern. What ideas can you come up with for the borders? The side borders measure 24" including the inner most blue border, the top and bottom border measures 17" including the inner blue border. My customer does prefer the simplicity look, yet elegant (meaning no feathers, etc) I was thinking piano keys, how would that look on such large borders, and/or the borders do not join in a 90 degree angle?

post--13461899020054_thumb.jpg

Maybe clamshells, though I don\'t know how that would be done with borders being wider/narrower. I can\'t "see" the piano keys.. so can\'t comment on that. I didn\'t know the diff in formal and informal feathers, but found out.. I didn\'t realize they aren\'t elegant. I think they are.

pretty fabrics.

RitaR

Nadia,

I think I would make circles that span all the borders and just do a free motion design, something that swirls. The other option is to do just an all over swirly meander. I think piano keys in the very outside border would be ok but I\'d do something different with the other borders. You might even do a cross hatching or diagonal lines. I think the fabric is pretty busy so I would get too fancy because it probably won\'t show much.

Nadia,

I always have a hard time coming up with ideas for borders of differing sizes. But his one spoke to me. I think that I would quilt 2 completely different (yet coordinated) border designs.

The top and bottom border could be some Asian motif or design element from CQ.

I think that I would put Julie Mullin\'s Earthlines bamboo on the side borders. The bamboo pieces are quite long and could be mirrors so the design is not repeated lengthwise. I know that Donita Reeves site has the Julie Mullin pattern packs. I have used it in a few Asian quilts and it always makes my cutomers happy. You can see the bamboo piece on the left side just below the dragonfly line on the attached photo from Donita\'s site.

Link to pattern pack on Donita\'s site

post--13461899024331_thumb.jpg

Just a thought ............ but with all those busy fabrics why not just do your "ginko" pattern over the whole quilt. It would be a shame to spend lots of time doing lots of different quilting patterns, when you probably won\'t see it unless you are "right up close".

Just my $.02 worth.

Janet

Milli

I like either the bamboo or the clam shells, did you see the post with the

fancy clam shells that have the ginko leaves in them? That would work too.

I think I would do the clam shells on the most outer red border, bamboo on

the lighter borders, and squares on point in the blue sashing/border. Or

diamonds, what ever works out to the size of the quilt.

Now aren\'t you glad you asked? Lots of ideas! Can\'t wait to see what you

come up with! Please post finished photos, it\'s a very pretty quilt!

Archived