batting bar

I think I read somewhere that there is a batting bar available for the Millennium but it isn't on the site. Does anyone know how much it costs or if it's still being offered? I would love to order a roll of batting but have no idea where I would keep it and I don't want to just put it on the floor under the table. Hmmmm.

Um, no offense but I believe there are some good options for storing batting if you have the room for it. Hang two rolls on the wall (kind of like toilet paper rolls) and it is easier to get to and doesn't get dirty. Not to mention if you have animals....the hair...ewwww. Of course if that is the way you want to store it ...GREAT! Just know there are other options. Check the back posts. I got some good ideas from other quilters. Good luck

Diana

• 3 weeks later...

Cheryl!! My fiance rigged up a batting bar on a frame on wheels that fits under the machine under the plexi ,and it moves if need be... Its 2 pcs of 4x4 ( 22inches lng) caster wheels mounted on each end. 2x6 board cut into 3 pcs (long base 84 inches and side uprights,12 inches each. The short pc are mounted upright aprox4 inches from each end secured with angle brackets on each side. Removeable closet bar is mounted 3.5 inches(bottom of bracket) from top of12 inch upright.This is mounted to the 4x4 ps with the casters. I was able to put a king size roll of hobbs on by myself with a little female ingenuity.. I can send you a pic if you like..It works great for me.....cheaper than 250 for sure!!

schnoo

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Here is what I came up for as my home made batting bar:

battingbar1.jpg

battingbar2.jpg

I took some railing material from Home Depot and put eye hooks in the ends and then used some black rope to attach it to my frame. Voila! The batting is off the floor shielded from falling threads by the panto plastic. Now I can go spend that $250 on thread and fabric!

Cheryl-- you are one smart lady! What a great substitute for the batting bar! I bought mine with my machine and wish I had waited since I'm not really using it and it is a PIA to attach and unattach. MUCH smarter to spend the $$ on thread!!

Sara

p.s. checked out your web site and I love the things you have done -- especially the corset!!

Hi Cheryl...

Thanks for the pictures. I just bought a pole last week and hadn't discussed with DH how it might be used. I was on the right track, just hadn't implemented. You just solved my problem of explaining it and saved $$$$$, too. Bless You!!!!! Happy LongArming.

After 30 years in the nursing field, I should have thought of this idea but alas my husband did...I store my batting on a rolling IV stand! I bought it new on the internet for $39. + $5. shipping. It's super easy to roll wherever I need to and I hang my scissors and a measuring tape from the bag hooks. It is sturdy, doesn't tip over and under my table stays clean and clear.:D

I love this forum. The sharing of ideas is invaluable and every time I log on I get excited about what I might learn. Needless to say, today was no different. You folks are the best. Thank you for sharing, for caring and for loving what you do. Too bad quilters don't run the world . . . wouldn't life be perfect !!!!!:P:P:P

FYI: I love my batting bar under my machine but I also bought a bale holder online from Hancocks for about $8.50. It's wood, on casters, and holds the batting upright. Works great.

PS: Cheryl, your holder is great and I love the idea of the IV stand. You just gotta love it . . . you ladies are amazing.

• 1 month later...

Hay Sherry

I do the same thing you do. I find the metal umbrella stands work best. To take it a step further... I screwed an extra large cutting mat (from Quilters Rule) onto the wall beside my batting roles, so when I need to cut off the right size piece of batting I just pull it along the cutting mat to measure and then I use a metal ruler (for wood working) and my rotary cutter to remove the batting from the role. This is quick and my batting stays clean and off the floor... (where there is really no room to role it out any ways). It works for me.:P

Archived