Floor Mats

Any recommendations on where to find heavy duty floor mats for my studio. I finally bought "the stool" that everyone recommended and now I need to put down good floor mats (over the carpet) so I can easily slide the length of my Millennium. I'll need to put them on both the front and back and I'm thinking that 10 feet each side should work.

Please let me know if you have found a product that works well for this purpose. Since I broke my foot last week my desire to learn how to quilt sitting down has greatly increased. I'm already a week behind and counting . . . HELP !!!

Thank you. :D

We have the kids (red, yellow, blue, green) interlocking foam floor over commercial carpet. My partner uses a rolling chair a good bit of the time. In order to mitigate the "crawl" we used HEAVY DUTY double sided carpet tape to keep them in line. Isn't perfect, but pretty darn close.

Kathy

QI DESIGNS

Guest Linda S

My recommendation would be to save yourself the money and get a pair of $29 Crocs shoes. They aren't gorgeous, but they are so very cushy and wonderful, that you won't need those expensive mats at all.

Linda

I have an incredibly wonderful floor for my studio. Before I had my Longarm, my studio was used for our gym equipment and Karate practice. (anyone that knows me will verify that I was not a big user of this space!) My friend at the time was a distributor of proffessional gym equipment for 24hour, universities etc. He was able to get me real dense rubber gym flooring. It is about 1/2 inch thick, comes aprox. 4-5 ft. wide by maybe 20 ft. long rolls. I have my whole floor done this way. When rolled out on the floor it almost seamlessly fits to the next roll. We did use an adhesive on ours though you prob. don't have to. It is quite heavy and heavy duty. Mine is black with small blue flecks in it. I also use an interlocking mat in front of my machine(I do not want to get fatigued!) which I move out of the way when I use my stool. It rolls great on this surface! Unfortunatly my friend has moved on from his position. I'm sure with a little research you could find a distributor. (if it sounds good to you) Check out those places that sell gym equipment. Also you could maybe ask your Hair Stylist to order the stylist mat for you through West Coast Beauty Supply or some other disributor. Maybe Ebay?

Hope the ideas help.

Cheryl

Guest Linda S

Actually Jean, I had foot surgery three weeks before MQX and could not walk more than a few feet at a time. I wore the crocs and made it through two hands-n classes that were 4 hours long and I walked around the quilt show and vendors. I would never have made it without those shoes.

Linda

I just bought some anti-fatigue mats from Industrial Mat. I found them on the internet and they sell "irregular" mats as well as those that passed quality control at their company. Anyway, the irregulars are inexpensive and you can buy them by the foot. I just bought 2 each 12' x 2' mats for the front and back of my machine and they cost less than $100, shipping included. They were very nice, very fast and I would recommed them. The mats came yesterday and they do not look in the least "irregular". I am hoping they will help me with my foot problem. Let me know if you can't find them or if you want the phone number. Teresa

I just did a search and found the floor mats. Then I looked as several. I don't remember the address, but I do have the phone number. It is 706-226-3219 and they are in Georgia. I ended up just calling them and spoke to sales. The lady there let me know what they had and how much, etc... Let me know if you need anything else, and I will see if I can find them again. Teresa

So far I haven't found the right mat for me. The anti-fatigue mats are too soft for my stool to roll easily. My studio has industrial carpeting but it's too soft for the stool too. My husband put masonite down temporary but the stool rolled so fast that I almost fell off. I already have one broken foot and don't need another, so the masonite is gone.

I'm wondering if office chair mats might be the best solution for the stool. If I could find one the right size (3'x12') or a couple that I could cut appropriately that might work. Right now I NEED to quilt sitting down but I'm hoping to get comfortable enough that sitting becomes my norm. Then if there is an occasion when I need to stand I can just put the mats aside. Does this sound reasonable?

For those of you that quilt from a stool, what surface are you on? Thanks for your input.

Happy Quilting :D

Jean,

Have you checked with carpeting stores or your home improvement stores. I am not sure what they are called, but there are protective runners (that some people put over the carpet in hallways, etc. to protect the carpet) that are quite similar to the chair mats. They are clear plastic with the nobbys (?) on the back to keep them from moving. They are probably 2 1/2 - 3' wide and as long as you need. This might be exactly what you are looking for. It is not soft, so the chair will roll easily.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Patty

I have commercial carpet in my quilt room, too .. and I use a "carpet runner" purchased at Home Depot. It has the teeth like a chair mat, but you can buy it by the linear foot. Mine is 3' x 12' and is just right for using my drafting chair while quilting sitting down.

sammi

Archived