Buying vintage featherweight - No more advice - I'm addicted!

Linzi, congrats on your new featherweight! :) If you end up winning the others, too, then you can start a collection like "ToManyQuilts" has, or sell. Your pigs look so happy and content/smiling and lying in the sun... they must have just finished eating their meal. I can only imagine the news story of your runaway pigs...too funny! :D

When I was a kid, I had a pet pig named Winky. He was black and white.

I won another one today! I was a bit annoyed that it sat at £4.99 all week then the price shot up this morning. This one had been posted in an obscure place. I only found it while browsing for spare foot pedals. This time it has a blue badge! Now I just need a white one and a 222 and I have a set. It\'s all your fault... I was only going to get one but you all told me to start collecting!!! Such fun.

LINZI x:D

Linzi they ARE addicting.

I wanted one for YEARS and finally gave up and got a longarm instead. Logical, right?

I even bought the book for them (do you have it yet? http://www.amazon.com/Featherweight-221-The-Perfect-Portable/dp/0964546922 they also have them at lots of the quilting supply sites) because my DSM broke down during the time I wanted one (right after I started quilting in 1999) and my DH said "go next door and ask my mom if you can use one of her sewing machines, she never uses \'em and has a couple at least". I call her at work, she says help yourself, I go in her craft room in there sits a FW. 100th anniversary addition that used to be her mom\'s, beat up from years of abuse, but sewed great. I made several tops and even quilted them on it. What a little workhorse it was. It wore off more of the gold on it, but you couldn\'t really tell as it had so much wear. I\'m hoping one day she\'ll leave it to either my DD or niece since they\'re the only girls in the family.

Anyway this year for Christmas, long after I\'d given up on justifying the cost of a FW, I asked DH for a Janome, Hello Kitty machine for classes (that I never take, but ya know I might:P) and got a mint FW w/the fancy scroll face and all the attatchments. I LOVE it! It\'s such a dream.

Now I\'m w/you, I need a white one and a 222 to complete my collection. :cool:

Have fun and welcome to the addiction. :P

Tracy, I think I would just hide the little guy and forget I even had it....;):P

My Brother-In-Law bought mine for me....WHAT A SWEETIE, it was a total surprise. He brought it in the house to show me, I thought it was my sisters, because she told he had gotten one for her. I was slobbering all over it and he looked up at me and said "Happy Birthday". I started to ball....I can\'t remember a more thoughtful gift. Even Gene hasn\'t come up with one better yet.

I Haven\'t found a 222 yet, but do have a 301, and a 500 something. Was able to find 2 UK versions of the 221, but haven\'t gotten them working yet.

Yes. I too have to admit, they are addictive and a GOTTA have.;)

I just bought a white featherweight as well! That is 3 in one week and I\'m supposed to be saving for a trip!! That is it - I\'ve deleted the featherweight search on e-bay (after I bought the book). Can\'t wait to get them in my house and play with them and send you pics...

But I\'m supposed to be working on a quilt. I can\'t tell you how distracted and obsessed I have become. I have spent longer frogging on my latest project than sewing. I\'m not happy with it and it\'s supposed to be for a competition - deadline March 31st. I need to get a grip, go cold turkey and get back to work!!!:mad: (but barmy, not angry)

Well I did warn you! The next problem comes if you start to collect older machines. I have 3 Wilcox and Gibbs hand crank machines and numerous others. I have temporarily stopped collecting as I have no space to display any more and I am now collecting longarming supplies instead!

Your pigs look very happy.

You should be able to get the pedal to work without too much trouble. Except that you\'ll be dying to sew with this Featherweight and won\'t be able to!! ARGH!

Keep bidding, you\'ll find a gem!

Pigs on the loose--can just picture that around here! Much too funny!

I would not want to list how many sewing machines are in my house. Someday I\'ll make a list just to overwhelm you all. I have quit collecting, maybe.

Sylvia

Archived