Labels

teachmusic

I think that each time we complete the stitching on a quilt, it is a work of art. And all other works of art are signed by the artist. I\'ve heard of some quilters putting their little "logo" or mark on each one. I don\'t see anything wrong with a statment something like "any label put on this quilt must have the name of the quilter on it". There is no way that we could make sure that this always happened, but it would certainly cause people to think about giving the quilter credit for shows and just for word of mouth. Too many times, we as longarms professionals don\'t get the credit for the beautiful quilting that we do. It seems to me that I saw something like this here sometime ago (like a yr or so ago). What do you all think about having some sort of wording like this on your estimate sheets?

Careful wording on an in-take sheet about credit for your work is appropriate, I believe. Now we must think of "appropriate wording"!! Perhaps something like--

"It has been a pleasure helping you finish your quilt. If our collaboration results in your decision to enter this quilt in a show, please credit me/my business on your label."

Our customers must realize that we go to all the local shows and have access to pictures of all the major ones, so there should not be a problem (or legalities involved) in crediting the quilting. As far as quilts for gifts or that stay in the family, it is all about the piecers feelings about crediting you. If it is an heirloom-type quilt, it would be nice to have credit if only for those future collectors or family historians.

I have had customers bring me quilt labels to put on my signature (!) with a Pigma pen and I have also had quilts hanging in our guilds quilt show with no credit at all on the label. I try to shrug it off--don\'t want any unhappy customers, you know!

I will follow this thread with interest to see what others have to say.

I\'ve read in a book on labels for quilts (I believe it is Linda Taylor\'s book)...she suggests that you offer a free label with your information as the quilter on the label. The piecer than has the option to sew the label on his/her quilt.

...if you charge for the label, give the quilter a choice of adding your name as the quilter.

I personally believe that I am being paid for a service and the quilt belongs to the piecer so it is her/his choice.

However, if I paid someone else to quilt my quilts, I would want their info on a label...it adds history to the quilt.

• 1 year later...

I show them a sample of my label which includes my name as the quilter / sometimes also the piecer. We talk about a name for the quilt and if they want the receiver's name on the quilt. Also include basic washing instructions. So far, this label has been well received - I charge $10 for these labels. It seems that they like the fact the they can totally word the label the way they want and they like the fact that it is machine embroidered.

Here is a sample of one I just did for a customer

2539915330103347397S500x500Q85.jpg

I offer machine embroidered labels for $12, and I always put my name in much smaller letters at the bottom: Quilted by.... and the washing instructions.

And I, too, saw Linda Taylor's show in which she suggested providing a free label. So I purchased a rubber stamp and a couple of different colors of permanent ink for fabrics. I provide them free of charge if they want them. Some want them, some don't. There is extra space in which to write information about the quilt and the maker of the quilt.

Sources for the stamps and pads are below. You build the stamp on line, so you see exactly what it will look like before ordering. But you need to get the permanent ink from another source. I tried the ink pad that came with the stamp, but it faded out badly.

The rubberstamp: http://rubberstamps.net/

The permanent ink pads: http://blockheadstamps.com/

I hope this helps.

post--13461901858682_thumb.jpg

What a great idea...a rubber stamp custom made, I'll be borrowing that tip. Thanks Georgene. I too have an embroidery machine, but not all customers want that extra even if it is only $12-15... this is a perfect answer to that.

Thanks Bonnie,

I use this stamp for my own quilts too. It's much easier and quicker than embroidery.

You can add a strip of a colorful fabric around the edges of the label to dress it up a bit.

And the cost of the stamp and ink pads are very reasonable.

Archived