Several loops on back - why

Cassandra

OK, I'm going to jump in here and take a stab at this. Even though I do not currently have an APQS machine, this problem may be the same on any stitch-regulated machine that uses o-ring encoders. Since my 2 APQS machines did not have stitch-reglators, I am not sure of the setup.

I have had to replace 2 o-rings on my machine. They had a miniscule hole or a crack. I had to use a magnifying glass to see the hole and the crack.

One was on the encoder on the carriage and the other was on the encoder on the table. The second time, I replaced the o-ring before I got the random loops. Besides the single loops, I noticed a lack of control. I wanted to go left and the machine resisted. It was so intermittent that it took a while to figure it out.

When I finally narrowed it down to the encoder o-ring, I went very slowly until I found where the bad spot was on the o-ring. To me, it was like when you drive very slowly over a pot hole in the road. You feel the tire drop slowly into the hole. And if you don't give it enough gas, the car rolls back into the hole. The machine would actually roll back into that hole. I could feel it on my handles.

I couldn't see the hole until I removed the o-ring and used a magnifying glass. Then it appeared like a tiny pin hole on the edge of the o-ring. I guess that the encoders are very sensitive and this little hole was being felt. I replaced the o-ring and the loss of control problem and the random loops problem went away.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

New to longarm I got my APQS Millie in May and still have tension troubles. Today was quilting with King T on top, Bottom L in the bobbin, My first row was great , then loops in the next row. Also it would be great if there was some sort of list as to the best way to thread all the dif. threads. I am VERY GOOD at taking out the thread !

Thanks

:( Makin

Makin, don't feel too bad. It's learning curve that all of us travel on... Make sure your thread path on top is correct and that you aren't missing any of those pigtails, etc. Also make sure your thread is completely in the tension disc. If you're getting loops on bottom your top tension is too loose or you've missed something in the thread path. Keep tweaking and playing. Don't be afraid to twist that tension knob!!!

I get random far-apart loops on the back on occasion--usually with King Tut and BottomLine.

King Tut seems thicker than other 40 weights. I think it has something to do with the dye application.

Anyway, loosen the backer on the rollers a bit and use some Sewer's Aid on the top thread. I would also loosen both the top and bottom tension a tiny bit. I run Tut at 17 to 18 on the Towa Gauge. Of course, it is all about what your machine likes.

When I get those loops, they are always knotted--you cannot pull the loose thread along the rest of the stitches. If there are just a few, I take my tiny crochet hook and bury those loops into the backer. Works fine and I haven't had any customer even notice.

Makin--If you get a row of good stitches and then immediately a bad row--your tension probably hasn't changed. Perhaps the thread path needs to be checked. The thread may have jumped out of a guide or more likely, the thread is not between the tensioner discs. Don't just look, actually unthread back to the beginning or at least pull the thread out of the tensioner and re-seat it. Hope this helps.

How about that!! Shana and I posted at the same time with the same advice!! Hi friend!!!

• 11 years later...

I’m going crazy.  Random loops on the back. I can’t give this to my customers.  They’ll sue me.  I have a Gammill Vision 2.0.  I want to get rid of it.  The frustration and stress is overwhelming me.  Please help. I can’t think of anything else to do.  

Vera:  Tighten your top tension.  Tighten it until the bobbin thread is being pulled to the top, then begin loosening it until you get a nice balanced stitch.  This advice assumes you've check the thread path and made sure everything is in it's proper place, and that your bobbin case is clean and the backlash spring is working properly, and that it's threaded and adjusted properly.  Also make sure your take-up spring is working properly.

On my Gammill when I experience this problem, most likely the thread isn't properly threaded through the take-up spring, and not being pulled up when the stitch is made.  Good luck.  Jim