Several loops on back - why

Cassandra

I have been having loops appear randomly on the back of my quilts. Not loops in a row, but loops every once in a while. Perhaps ten on the whole back. I know it is the top thread because of the color. I have tried tightening up the top tension. The result is usually that it is too tight and pulls the bobbin thread to the top. I have my top tension at about 200 (according to my gauge). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I used to get the same thing when the thread didn\'t come off the spool evenly, especially with rainbows and King Tut. I solved the problem by putting in an extra pigttail before the tension disk to keep the thread under control and keep a nice even tension on the thread.

Debbi

I used to have loops appear randomly on the back also , the only advice I can give is it is a tension thing . You just have find the right spot for your machine and thread that you are using . I just kept messing with both tension until all worked out

Good luck just keep trying wish I could be more help to you

Hopefully someone will chime in that can explain how to adjust your tension to get it right

Like Debbi said, it can happen from the thread coming off the spool unevenly or when the slippery threads sling off the spool. Have you tried tucking a piece of batting in the quide directly above the spool of thread? This can help to tame the slinging thread. You can also try the extra pigtail.

Cassandra,

What machine do you have? Maybe that will help with trying to give suggestions....maybe someone else with the same model has experienced the same thing. If it is an APQS Millie the problem may be different than with say a Gammill or Nolting. Tension discs are different. Just a thought.

Does your machine have a stitch regulator, and could it be you are outrunning the reg. Or does it happen when you are going a certain direction, or just when you change direction. The extra thread guide is a good help, so is smoothing out everywhere the thread may travel. Hope your problem is solved. Happy Stitching Marion

Thread net? I think this would help regulate the thread coming off the spool or cone and might solve the problem. It\'s little things like this that make a big difference! Give it a try.

PS: I would think something not too tight. A tight thread net would be counterproductive. I am going to cut a few chunks off my panty hose and use that as a thread net. Inexpensive, too! :)

My loops are non-excistent since I added the extra thread guides. I have the needle bar thread guide and 4 extra pig tails. The first extra thread guide is between the 2 three hole guides, the 2nd and 3rd is before and after the take up lever and the last is above the new needle bar thread guide.

I can\'t tell you all how much I appreciate all of the postings. I had a really nice lady send me a picture of her \'additional\' pig tails. The consensus is that the random loops have to do with the intake of the top thread. Now the next question...where do you purchase pig tails. I know APQS sells them, but they have that darned handling fee that would make the cost so very outrageous. Again, I am so glad so many of you long arm quilters have offered solutioins that I would never have figured out on my own.

• 4 months later...

Help, Going Crazzzzzyyyyyyyy. I too am having problems with a loop appearing randomly. Also the thread at the spring tension on top seems to be hard to pull through the guide. I will be going along and the top thread breaks and tangles at the guide at the top. Could this be causing the loop or the breaking of the thread. I have adjusted till I get so discouraged and just quit.

Where do you get the extra thread guides and does the netting on the spool really help that much. Help,help, help. Before I decide to sell her.

You didn't say which machine you have so am going to assume (and ya know what that gets ya)....you have an APQS. If you go to the parts list on the home page you will find the parts for the thread guides....they are called "Thread guides: Wire - pigtail" and they are $1.30 plus postage. The thread nets you can get at any "JoAnn's", Hancock Fabric, or even some LQS have them in stock.

Its worth the try to see if it does....or not...some threads really need it if its a slippery thread, King Tut types I don't use it on because it can actually be to tight...so without trying and not knowing for sure what threads you are using or what machine you have...I'm sorry if i didn't help much.

I too was having this problem a while back. Called APQS and talked to Dawn - this is what she told me and it helped - have not had a problem since. I have a Millie. Don't know if this will help you, but it is another thought. Good luck.

the following is a post from a couple of weeks ago:

Dawn Saves the Day

Just want to say 'Thank You' to our own wonderful Dawn C.

Had been having thread problems - a few stitches flat on the back or sometimes a few loops on the top. Very sporadic! In the end was not a tension problem and I really did not think it was.

Gave me 2 hints that worked wonders:

1. a piece of batting in the first guide above the cone of thread to create a bit of drag on the thread - the batting lays on top of the thread - the thread does not travel through the batting.

2. Instead of wrapping the thread around the 3 holes in the 2nd holey guide, she had me go up in the first hole, down in the second and up again in the 3rd hole - no wrapping where you would be coming up into each hole.

The combination of these two hints has allowed the thread to travel much smoother and no longer getting the occasional crazy stitches. Has happened with more than one thread, but mostly King Tut (cotton). What a "Wiz Kid" she is!!

Just wanted to pass this along to those that haven't heard these hints before - lots of us newbies. I am very grateful to Dawn!;):D

Cassandra and Brenda,

If you want a pigtail and a thread net, I will gladly send you one of each free if that will help. I ordered extra pigtails when I ordered some other stuff from APQS. With that handling fee I made sure I got everything I could possibly want. The guy at Superior gave me a free pack of threadnets at a quilt show. Just send me a u2u with your address. Don't let this stuff frustrate you to the point of selling your machine.

I was working on a quilt that needs to be done by Sept. 11, when I decided to check my list and see where I am on quilts. I found one that somehow I missed - still haven't figured out how that happened - anywho...I took the first quilt off the frame, changed thread put the next quilt on. It was going to be a simple, CL Baptist Fan so I knew it would go quick...about half way through the quilt I started having terrible tension problems, loops and skipped stitches, and nothing I did helped. I could not figure it out. Finally, I decided my sandwich was too tight. The top was a vintage top and in order to make it lay flat I was putting too much tension on the quilt itself. Once I released some of the tension, the stitching was perfect.

Make sure your quilt is not pulled too tight - just a suggestion when all else fails.

Hello ... I asked the original question. I have done the following to try and solve my problem: Turned the thread spool upside down, replaced all pigtails and added two additional pigtails, put batting on the loop above the thread spool, used a thread net, bought a new bobbin case, bought a new hook assembly (which meant I needed to re-time the machine after installation), bought a new tension controller, loosened the sandwich, changed the needle more often, changed the way I threaded the machine through the second three hole guide, sanded the hole in the base plate, checked for threads in the wrong places, and probably a dozen other things.

What I think I will try next is to stand on my head, click my heals together and hope that helps. HA HA. I must admit, I have had less loops. Which of the things helped?...who knows. What I do know is that I have had such wonderful support from this forum. All that responded had really good suggestions about what to try and I tried all of them and then some.

So, I will continue to watch my tensions, keep things lint free and change the needle more often.

Thank you...all of you...for your support.

Cassandra,

How about your wheels? I have had the problem of thread breaking, skipped stitches, uneven stitches, etc. I had readjusted my wheels and got them all out of whack. There was no getting it back to normal. I went on like that for about 6 months or more. Finally, Debbi T. from Des Moins was here and she worked a miracle on my machine. It works perfect now.

Sounds like you have tried everything else. Not sure it would help you, but it might be worth a try.

Hey MB. I'm glad your machine is working great now. It probably helped a lot that we fixed Rod's boo-boo when putting on the soft mount.

Now if I could work a miracle with my machine we'd be in business!! Ny machine and table were moved several times while my basement was being finished. I've been trying to get it adjusted right since my basement was finished and I'm just not there yet. Really frustrating!!

Debbi

Cassandra.. Is your bobbin being wound tightly and evenly?? When I used an alternate very small bobbin winder that comes with the machine now, I really had a mess.. and never could get a tight bobbin wound.. if you can squeeze just the thread part, not the sides of the bobbin, and it is squishy, it is not wound tight enough.

RitaR