Too thick Cotton Batt?

Hi.

I bought the wrong batting and wonder if I should use it. I have Quilter\'s Dream Cotton "Supreme" which is very thick and dense. It is their heaviest weight. The quilt will be machine washed and machine dried, so it should get that old-fashioned look from the cotton shrinking...but will it puff up or stay flat and dense looking?

The feathery quilting design I\'m planing on trying for this quilt will need to be puffy. Both the quilt and batt are large queens, so I have no extra batting to test.

Have you ever used this? What was the result.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Yes, I have used it in a customer quilt. The quilt was heavy, there is definition in the quilting but it is still flat. If you are looking for puffy...you need a wool or polyester (poly-down and wool from Hobbs or angel puff from Dream Cotton). It does quilt beautifully, but I am not sure if it is what you are looking for since you used the description "puffy".

Cheryl

Originally posted by njquiltergirl

Quilter\'s Dream Cotton "Supreme" which is very thick and dense. It is their heaviest weight. The quilt will be machine washed and machine dried, so it should get that old-fashioned look from the cotton shrinking...but will it puff up or stay flat and dense looking?

APQS Liberty

I used this once also...thinking I wanted it to do just that....be a dense looking quilt...old fashioned and lay flat....it did all that wonderfully....

HOWEVER, I hadn\'t planned on it shrinking as bad as it did. I made a 75" x 90" and it shrank 6 inches width wise and almost 10 inches lengthwise....a big shrinkage I thought. I loved how the quilt turned out, and it did go to a friend as a gift, and she loves it...it really is snuggly...but way smaller than I thought it was going to be.

Hi Lisa,

I carry several QD products for my business. I have not used the Supreme weight of QD cotton but I have used the Deluxe weight which is the one just lighter than the Supreme. It is quite dense and as everybody says, it is heavy.

I get nice quilt definition on it but it is not puffy. And it does shrink, it is 100% cotton. Warm & Natural (Warm and White) are both 87% cotton, 13% poly so they shrink just enough to get that soft wrinkly look. I still love the QD cotton but I have to warn my customers that it does shrink.

If you are looking for puffy, you might want to consider QD Puff. It is light as a cloud and has a nice drape. Several of my customers have used it for quilts that will be used in rest homes because it is so lightweight. But it is still poly. So it does not breathe like the cotton.

I hafve several customers asking for the wool now because it is lightweight, puffy (great definition), breathes and shrinks almost not at all. It has been preshrunk during the cleaning and carding process. It is divine.

Archived