How to load with the backing on top?

Hi All -

My customer wants me to follow the design on the backing when I quilt her quilt, but I\'m unclear on how I would load the quilt - should I load it top up first and put in some stabilizing quilting, including basting the edges down, and then reload the quilt with the backing up?

Any ideas are appreciated...

Thanks,

Julia

Julie...The only way I have figured to do this is to add scrap fabric to the top that will be cut off and still do it top down and the backing up....When I have done this I make the scrapped edges the same size as the backing and batting and clamp all three layers together.

First off the customer can ask all they want. Your are running this show.

You DECIDE if you want to do such a request.

The top just like the backing would need to follow all the same rules as the Back. This would mean LARGE Borders and a backing that will cover the difference.

I personally would say no to this but its up to you. Your could however make a template very easily with a drawn pattern that is in the fabric.

Again I would charge the BIG Bucks to take all this tiime. You decide for yourself.

There are too many designs available that would make our quilting process joyful and not so stressful.

She can always get a quilter that is willing to do it for NOTHING. Let her.

Good LUck and do let us know the outcome. If you followthru on her request I would be interested in whether you do the same task again.

Hugs Grammie

I have heard of people doing this and it seems to work. Like Tammie said, I would have the customer make the back (top in this case) 4" larger than the top (backing fabric) and then load as usual. You could just lap the backing fabric (top) over the seam that forms the fake border for the top (back) then start stitching past the seam. I think it would work.

I wouldn\'t offer to put the larger borders on the top (back) for her....If I did, i would make her pay...this is a little extreme...I would also let her know since you have never done this before, there are no guarantees.

All very good ideas, thank you.

I studied the back of the fabric some more - they are beautiful paisleys with all sorts of colors and flowers and geometric designs, but she only wanted the outline of the paisleys. I sketched out for her what just the outline would look like (a bunch of wierd amoeba looking things) and pointed out the number of starts and stops (which equals more expense), and she decided to let me do what I think best.

Hooray! Despite this being technically challenging, I really didn\'t think it would look good and that was even worse. She has really really busy fabric that isn\'t going to show much quilting, and she wants it very loose - 3-4" apart, so I\'m thinking of something that will mimic the shape of the paisley that I can do freehand from the front.

Wish me luck... she brought me two quilts - the other will be flowers from the Deloa Jones class I took at MQX. I\'m really looking forward to that one :).

Julia

I just tried this on the quilt that I am working on. It has a beautiful butterfly backing and I wanted to follow that as my pattern. I loaded it all "upside down" and then stabilized/basted at the inner border so I could use the outer border to clamp on. I just figured that I would finish the inner field, take the quilt off, turn in face up, load the side borders or "turn the quilt"(which were plentiful) and stitch all the borders that way. Yes, the top and bottom borders would have stop/starts where I would have to roll.

Good idea, huh? NO. :mad: :mad:

I quilted about half way across and stopped. It just did not feel right, like it was dragging even though it was totally stabilized with basting at the inner border and across the quilt every 10 inches. I was fearful of a pucker on the front. I did not like it, took it off, frogged and now I am back to using a new panto ( what another panto? How many will she buy?) which looks lovely.;)

I think that it might have worked better if before I loaded it, I had sewn on some temporary 6" wide muslin strips from top to bottom on the quilt top. I think that was what Bonnie had in mind. But this is a new customer and I wanted the quilt to be perfect so she will return. There will be time to get innovative later.:D

I\'m with Tammie. It\'s hard to tell a customer no, but I would do it on this one and point out all of the reason why along with potential issues. If she still wants it done, I would give her a couple of other LA\'s to call and see if they would do it.

Debbi

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

I think that it might have worked better if before I loaded it, I had sewn on some temporary 6" wide muslin strips from top to bottom on the quilt top. I think that was what Bonnie had in mind.

That excactly what I was trying to say...but it got lost in translation. Sorry. I call it scrap because I don\'t always use muslin...I use what ever fabric I have around...or a bolt I bought on extreme sale and this is what its life was meant to be.

Archived