Spirals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I\'m really getting discouraged and frustrated. I have a BIG quilt to do and they want the Southwest Bear in two of the borders. It will be a lot of bears. Inside each bear is a spiral. I don\'t know if it has a significance or not. I have been ppp the spirals and I just can\'t get the circles evenly spaced. Are there any tricks to this?

Thanks for listening,

I think that "speed" is your friend when trying to stay consistent with circles or spirals.

I also think that increasing your stitches per inch on SR mode helps keep circles smoother, too. Increase Stitches per inch to 11 or 12 and swirl in and swirl out quickly to see if that helps to get your swirls nice and pretty. :)

In addition to Shana baby\'s suggestion,:) try marking your spirals with chalk for visual reference.

Practice on muslin so you get your groove going, you should be just fine!;)

DebLou,

I have a question. Does your customer have a copy of the panto? I have never had a customer complain when I alter the pattern to make a more quiltable design. And I don\'t think any of them actually have a copy of the panto.

I have used Deb Geissler\'s pattern and, like most of her pantos, the bear with spiral is intense. I usually stitch every other bear and put a loopy thang between them and I never use that spiral in the bear. Too close quarters for me.

That\'s my 2 cents worth.

If you have to do the spirals;), try keeping your elbows tucked into your sides, your body a bit stiff and move your whole body, not just your arms. Also, you will NOT get good round shapes if you try to go too slow. Speed up, relax, and tuck those elbows in!

Originally posted by DebLou

Does anyone know if there is a significance to the spiral inside the bear?

Depending on which Indian Nation is using these symbols they have different meanings.

The Bear stands for Leadership and Protector. (One of the reasons the Chiefs of the plains Indians used this on their teepees and shields) and Physical Strength

The Spiral has several meanings depending on which Nation is using it...Cycles (like in cycles of life) Eternal Renewal, Whirlwinds, Water (like water essential for life).

Bear Tracks or Paws, are a good omen, and also symbolizes a direction of power.

So with informationa it could mean several things:

Protector of Water or, Leader of life cycles ...or a number of things.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by DebLou

Does anyone know if there is a significance to the spiral inside the bear?

Thanks again,

I am going to guess that the spiral in the bear is really supposed to be a bulls eye target to aim when shooting it with your rifle... (just kidding)... :P (Note: I am not a mighty hunter and I prefer not to shoot bears or other animals).

Joking aside, I do not know the symbolism of the spiral in the bear, but I really appreciate Bonnie\'s description about our indigineous peoples and native american heritage. It probably means something significant like that.

PS: I just did some "googling" and from what I can find, the spiral is a sign of life force, fertility, etc. It\'s a good thing! Putting the spiral in that bear is good kharma.

Wow Bonnie. Interesting knowledge. And Mary Beth........... Nothing like yanking us down off our spiritual plateau. :)

Actually, the bear/spiral image survives from an ancient time when bears suffered from a stomach virus that was going around. The native americans described it in graphic symbolism around the borders of their buffalo skin quilts.

Mr Margie

p.s. you should see the quilts they did when the deer got diaharrea

I burn a special mixture of hackberry, mulberry, hickory, and honey locust thorns. At the proper moment I toss in a handful of gooseberries.

When I inhale the smoke, the night clouds, the stars go dim, lightning streaks through the sky, and Chuck says, "How ya doin Brad? I can\'t hardly see ya through all this smoke..."

Thank you all for your input. You guys are crazy. :) I love it.

Linda, did you just do the bear and nothing inside of it? I don\'t know for sure if the spirals is what attracted them or just the bear or both. The big bear that he appliqued in the middle of the quilt has a squiggly spear (?) running through it. (Oh Shana, maybe he\'s aiming for that bullseye in the bear behind him?)

I thought about tracing the squiggly design to see if it would be any easier to quilt. Then the border would match the big bear. It may be too small to even show up though. The good thing is that this border is made up of 3 borders that are print material.

Okay, I\'m off to keep practicing: elbows in, body stiff, and speed up. (Right Darlene?)

Originally posted by lym95

I burn a special mixture of hackberry, mulberry, hickory, and honey locust thorns. At the proper moment I toss in a handful of gooseberries.

When I inhale the smoke, the night clouds, the stars go dim, lightning streaks through the sky, and Chuck says, "How ya doin Brad? I can\'t hardly see ya through all this smoke..."

Mr. Margie:

Dude, I think you\'ve been watching too many reruns of "That 70\'s show" with scenes of the kids sitting around the card table in the basement...

Archived